How to jw's handle Luke 6:32?

by carla 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• carla
    carla

All or nothing said this in a previous thread, "We were told the "identifying mark of true Christians is this love among the brothers". It was said in the thread about not being invited to things.

I have seen it many times in re: to jw's.

How do jw's handle Luke 6:32 then? This is from the NIV - (maybe they took it out of the NWT?) This scripture alone should make a jw think, in my opinion. From shunning, cliques, judging others spirituality, etc.. etc... and generally finding excuses to treat their own (and non jw) people like crap. So what would the current light be on the scripture below?-

“If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. 35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful."

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

A real Dub answer would be something like: ...

"Don't you know that the discipline of the disfellowshipping arrangement is an expression of love to the sinner? Tough love maybe , but love nonetheless . It hurts the shunner to have to ignore his former friend or family member. We do it to get them back among us, repentant and in a good relationship with Jehovah"

There you are , isn't that what they would say?

• carla
    carla

sigh, I figured.

To most Christians that is one of the hard parts of Christianity, loving those who are difficult to love. Love them anyway. But then jw's define love far differently than most.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

They would probably say nothing could be more loving than timely discipline. Unless you are an apostate with s great hatred for Jehovah, this arrangement will coerce you to return to your loved ones, Jesus and most importantly Jehovah and his saving ark.

• Spiral
    Spiral

BluesBrother, I have heard that line many times. Twisted and sick. Emotional manipulation of the drones, at its best.

• lastmanstanding
    lastmanstanding

jDUBO’s will say

“Didn’t we come to sell you our literature of life?”

“Didn’t we come to tell you the words of the ‘slave’?”

”Didn’t we come to tell you that you wrong and we were right?”

so much love...

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

We all know the scriptures JW's are trained to go to and try show the shunning is a type of love. Here are two of their favorites.I know it's a stretch for them but when you're in and brain-washed it will suffice for the sheeple.

Proverbs 3:12 "because the Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in."
    Hebrews 12:6 "
    because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.”

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

CARLA:

There was a brother in my hall that said ‘we must love the “unlovable”’...I felt he had another thought coming!!..Some people are unlovable because of maybe having severe issues or even criminal tendencies.

The Witnesses think people (especially women) are there to have unpleasant things or people inflicted on them.

I take the scripture of ‘showing love’ as Agape love. I believe general pleasantness, common courtesy and at least refraining from the usual Witness exclusion and unfriendliness. Now, this is under normal circumstances, in my opinion.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

CARLA:

Let my clarify:..Some think Agape love is unconditional but I don’t view it that way. I don’t believe in totally unconditional love.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit