Jws failure to protect their vulnerable follower

by Fadeaway1962 8 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Fadeaway1962
  • truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Agreed. They are definitely open to civil liability.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Sad and unfortunate, but not surprising being that Elders are trained to not bring forth information outside about their members to the police when trouble is around or occurring.

If they did the police may has started a intervention to calm things down for them.

" We mustn't bring reproach onto Jehovah organization "........

has been the constant agenda by the WTS. as a means to protect the image of the organization in the public's eyes.

Which is notably a sociological F up on many levels as seen in the results

• hoser
    hoser

I was programmed this way to protect the org. I’m not proud of it now but was at the time.

Many have been hurt because of this kind of behaviour.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    "...We mustn't bring reproach onto Jehovah organization..."

My elder Dad used to use this argument, but eventually, I realized that that what he personally meant was "we mustn't give our enemies any ammunition to use against us". I couldn't really blame him for feeling that way, considering how he'd been burned by "worldly" people he'd once trusted.

I'll never forget the look on his face when I suggested that that if and when the abuse was eventually exposed, the evidence of coverup couldn't help but bring far worse "reproach", whereas prompt cooperation and proactive reporting would actually garner the respect of public and secular authorities.

Most loyalists can't think that far ahead, though. It certainly hadn't occurred to him, but to his credit, he acknowledged the sense of what I said.

Of course, the real reason this policy has been in place for so long is that the WT leadership knows if the authorities are informed and they start digging, they'll find further evidence of more abuse...

...which, in turn, becomes exposed, and part of the public record...

...which, in turn, becomes harder and harder to dismiss in the eyes of the rank-and-file...

...which, in turn, too deeply undermines the Org's claims of "God's Exclusive Earthly Organization".

And from their POV, that simply cannot be permitted.

The Org's entire raison d'etre hangs on it.

• skin
    skin

"This article calls the JWs a church, has to be made up lies from Satan, we shouldn't be reading and putting these false thoughts into our minds". Well thats the answer i would be told if I showed this news item to the JWs i know.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Shocking story. Poor woman.... Her husband an obvious mental case. I wonder how that elder felt when he learned what had happened? I’d bet that he never believed that he would really do it.

If he did know she was really in danger, the blood is on his head too.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Vidiot says ......

I'll never forget the look on his face when I suggested that that if and when the abuse was eventually exposed, the evidence of coverup couldn't help but bring far worse "reproach", whereas prompt cooperation and proactive reporting would actually garner the respect of public and secular authorities.

Yes that is true in all practical sense, in reality that is what has happened.

Their covering up of these situations and others has caused far worse reproach if one were to use that descriptive wording.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Also remember that the vast majority of these folks were positive that Armageddon was right around the corner, so why bother air the Org's dirty laundry when the New System would solve any problems like that?

BTW, something you said before...

"...a means to protect the image of the organization in the public's eyes..."

Don't kid yourself.

At this point, the Org doesn't give a hairy blue fuck about how "Satan's World" thinks of them, and hasn't for a while now.

It's all about shoring up their legitimacy and authority in the eyes of the membership now, by whatever means necessary (and keeping their tax-exemption to stave off insolvency, IMO).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit