Moses got it wrong- The Ark was round

by fulltimestudent 3 Replies latest jw friends

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Not a new subject, I think i have posted on this before, as well as others

But, I came across a British Museum video (on Youtube) in which a BM curator tells of his discovery of a cuneiform tablet outlining the Assyrian story of the flood and the (round) ark.

The BM curator was Dr Irving Finkel, Deputy Keeper of Middle East at the British Museum, he explains that one day a member of the public brought in an old family heirloom

It all started with a fairly normal event for a museum: a member of the public bringing in an old family heirloom - a cuneiform tablet from around 1750 BC which proved to be one in a million.

Finkel proceeded to decipher this tablet. and realised he had discovered the earliest account of the ancient Babylonian ‘Story of the Flood’ – a story that a bible writer later incorporated into the genesis account.

Finkel's brief account is in this shorter version of longer explanations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbfr-9US31k

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Finkel has also written a book on this important find. I find it interesting as it demonstrates that there were intercultural sharings of ideas, beliefs and stories.

If you would like more details, then you may find Finkel's book interesting:

If you cant get access to the book at some library or bookshop, then this 58 minute video of a talk that Finkel gave at the University of Chicago's Oriental Institute a reasonable alternative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_fkpZSnz2I&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR0zPkwxJ-AmEv2EJSnlvrNzqTmE-zUSYn9fC2YAbaNBcJU27znqPeOfwKE

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" Moses got it wrong " . It is not all " Moses" got wrong in Genesis, the order of "Creation" being one example.

I can imagine the Writer or Writers posing as Moses thinking it was a good idea to change the dimensions of the Ark as they created their own Story, but I am sure they were very familiar with exactly what the Babylonian story said, as that is what they had grown up with !

The whole putting together of a false History for the Hebrews is an interesting area of Study, a Study in the creation of a National Identity, and though we can now see the many fictions in the claims it makes, it is quite cleverly done. Clever enough to fool subsequent generations down until this day that it is a true record. Clever enough to cause Israel to claim it has historical rights which it does not.

• Magnum
    Magnum
    Thank you. Will watch the videos and look into getting the book. It looks interesting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit