Visiting old churches

by moley 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• moley
    moley

When I was a JW i did and still enjoy visiting old churches and cathedrals because of the history and amazing architecture of these wonderful old buildings. A sister in my old congregation regaled us with a story of a visit to the Tower of London and walking up this crowded narrow staircase only to discover it led to an old chapel. The way she described her horror at almost entering you would have thought they were doing human sacrifices. I couldn’t understand her attitude. Did anyone else visit old churches and cathedrals to enjoy the architecture when they were still JW’s

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

My wife and me did, for the same reasons as you, and never gave it a thought, apart from being aware that other J.W's would have a stupid fear of doing so etc. I never bothered about what other J.W's would think of our enjoyable visits.

After we woke up and left, we were able to visit more of these wonderful buildings, and we also visited Winchester Cathedral one Sunday, and joined in the Service to the extent of sitting through it, we really wanted to fully see the cathedral when the Service had ended.

We also visited a number of Churches and Chapels, of various Denominations, and sat through the Services there.

Nowadays we would not bother with the Services, we are both Atheists. But if able to do so, will still visit any building that is historically and/or Architecturally interesting.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have no great interest in churches although I have been in big cathedrals. I agree that the architecture is amazing. I don’t think dubs in general object . Certainly my family has and when in the company of other Witnesses.

I have it on good authority that when they had a convention in Moscow, the Society organised a trip around a big orthodox cathedral that stands within the Kremlin. That itself is the seat of the King of the North……

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I'm as atheist as it gets but there are a couple of village churches nearby I have visited occasionally - only when there is no service though. They are calm, tranquil and an escape from modernity.

I'll sit for maybe 15 or 20 minutes and then get on with my day. I am undoubtedly misusing the church but I don't mean any disrespect - I'm in the believers space after all.

Nothing will ever bring me back to faith but that doesn't mean I can't see value in these spaces which are still largely insulated from the rude clatter of life.

• wunce_wuz
    wunce_wuz
    if my memory is correct, students that attended Gilead class to become missionary's toured St. Patrick's Cathedral and other NYC sites during the 70's. Pointing out he opulence of "Babylon the Great".
  • tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I loved visiting the historic cathedrals and churches in Europe and Asia...though I must admit I always had a sense of superiority walking into them knowing I had the "Truth"! LOL

• Splash
    Splash

Just today I visited Worcester cathedral. The history always blows my mind. King John is buried there which I found fascinating.

i once also visited Sudeley Castle where Catherine Parr is entombed. This, too, was an emotional experience.

For me there’s something transcendent in the hundreds of years of history and drama in English castles and cathedrals.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer
    wunce_wuz: Pointing out the opulence of "Babylon the Great".

And never once feeling a pang of envy!

• St George of England
    St George of England

I have always enjoyed visiting old churches and cathedrals. I have done this since school days when we were taken on trips to Southwell Minster, Lincoln Cathedral and Eyam to mention just a few. I also enjoy reading and photographing gravestones and researching the people on them. Weird, probably, but keeps me out of mischief.

George

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MOLEY:

I certainly did and those centuries old churches/cathedrals in Europe are so wonderful.

I remember the opulence in Rome with St. Peter’s and also the magnificent gloom of Winchester Cathedral in England. Very old, almost a thousand years.. I think I was more impressed with this place and remember the tour guide pointing out large urns or containers of relics on an elevated area. I remember the name King Canute(?) being mentioned as one of the persons whose relics were there.

In those early days of being a JW, I remembered the scripture about Babylon the Great and the “dwelling place of every unclean and hated bird”. I wondered to myself if it pertained to this place because it had the right atmosphere. But, I loved it and it’s great that they take pains to preserve this part of their culture and early history from the days of William the Conqueror!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit