Taking Control

by Tech49 5 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Tech49
    Tech49

To recap: PIMO/fading, continually in the process of dis-engaging.

As part of an ever-blossoming departure from the ways in which I grew up and spent a lot of my adult life, I had a moment recently where I took some of my own control back..... Let me explain.

One defining moment I had about 8 years ago was when I shredded my "blood card", or DPA. I had decided that those beliefs were not the ones I supported. It was a little scary, taking that little step, that really only I knew about.

Fast forward: Recently, as I grow older and need the standard tests that come with age, I had the opportunity to reclaim even more of my independence from previously-held doctrine and beliefs. I was in the hospital for a very minor procedure. I hadn't given it a bit of thought, until I was in the hospital bed, all hooked up and ready to be wheeled into the OR. After the doc had come in and reviewed with me the "scope" (see what I did there?...) of the work to be done and the extremely minor risks involved, the nurse handed me the standard consent forms, and asked me to sign them. She also needed verbal confirmation of my signature and consent. Then, there it was: That one line sentence and a box to initial:

I agree to accept blood or blood products if the doctor deems them necessary.

Holy Hell. My brain went on fire for a brief second. Then I stopped. Here I am, an over-50 male, extremely healthy, great job that I love, building a great retirement portfolio, wonderful wife and family, living a good life and enjoying it! If something goes wrong while I am out, and the doc deems it necessary to save my life with whatever he can and with whatever he has at hand... do I really want to say "no, full-stop, sorry. The 8 guys in NY said that it would make the big J very sad.... so you need to let me bleed out and die."

It was in that exact fleeting millisecond that I made a choice. One that no other person would truly understand at that exact moment. I chose to live. If something goes haywire..... save me. I don't care what anyone else thinks or says.... I will live.

And there it was. MY choice. MY body. MY life. I took control, and it felt wonderful.

So anyways, the procedure went perfectly fine, no issues of any kind. But in that moment, I knew I had reached a new level of taking control of my own future. I LIVED.

The lesson, the take-away? YOU control YOU. Dont let anyone take that power from YOU. Sometimes it's small steps, but just do YOU.

Jack Harper, Tech49

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Well done Jack ! Those little steps are so liberating, and good for the soul !

I never carried a Suicide Card in the later years of being in, but as soon as I had left I went to my family Doctor and got my records amended to say that I would accept a B.T or whatever if necessary at any time. I explained why, that I was no longer a JW, and would accept such things, and he said " I bet you will !".

Fading was my preferred exit, as I have so many relatives in, and they can still speak to me. I also found it Therapeutic to research all the JW errors, not just doctrine, but even attitudes to things, and to expunge all that from my thinking.

It is now as though I never was a JW as far as beliefs, thoughts, and feelings go, and it is rather wonderful !

• James Jack
    James Jack

My wife and I haven’t been to a meeting since June. I’m going to run for city council (small town), so I expect a phone call and will decide either let them df me or should I just da myself.

• Tech49
    Tech49

You go James! Perspectives sure change as we get older, right!? Keep on your own path. Follow your heart. Strip off the old personality.....

• Giordano
    Giordano

My wife and I walked away from the JW construct in the mid 1960's. There were four reasons (1) the ban on blood. (2) that totally stupid belief ...... Armageddon. (3) the dumb self serving corporation......... the WTBTS. (4) Praying to Jehovah before you had sex!

Really!!

• James Jack
    James Jack

Giordano

I never prayed before sex, just to have more of it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit