Rank & file are seeing the money-grubbing

by Zoos 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• OverlappingGeneralizations
    OverlappingGeneralizations

I know in my cong, I assist with the contribution boxes occasionally, and I have seen a huge drop in the last few years. Years ago it wasn't uncommon to see $500+ in the boxes. Now we rarely break $75. No "big contributors" have left the hall either; it's the same ol' people. They just aren't contributing anymore.

It all goes to show, people would rather do things because they want to, rather than being told to.

"The branch" got it's revenge though. They seized our congregation's savings (I'm sorry, I mean "asked that it be contributed to the worldwide work"), merged 6 congregations and emptied out 3 kingdom halls that will soon be sold. So they'll get that money one way or another.

• Simon
    Simon

Not really related but why do American's say Money Grubbing? Surely it's Money Grabbing?

Is "Grubbing" some term with it's own origin and usage or is it one of these "we mis-heard it / invented our own pronunciation" things?

(like "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less")

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

At my former hall the big money grab shocked many into donating less each month. This coupled with the realization that a new hall was NOT coming made the monthly bills hard to pay before I left.

I remember them having to do a few local needs parts on the importance of donating specifically to the local Kingdom Hall. There were months that wealthy elders had to make a sizable donation to keep their end of the bills payed.

The doubling of the monthly "forever loan" didn't help either.

• freddo
    freddo

@Simon

"Grubbing" actually means to dig about or poke about (in soil or similar). An animal might grub about in the dirt looking for insects, worms or other grubs.

So money-grubbing is like someone digging or poking about in soil but digging about for money. So always on the lookout for money; poking about in the dirt for it.

Money grubbing and money grabbing have become synonymous really with the US leaning towards the former and British English towards the latter but they are interchangeable.

• blondie
    blondie
    mon·ey-grub·bing
    [ˈmənē ˌɡrəbiNG]

ADJECTIVE

1. informal
      overeager to make money; grasping:
      "money-grubbing speculators"
      synonyms: acquisitive · avaricious · grasping · money-grabbing ·
      gold-digging · rapacious · mercenary · materialistic

RELATED FORMS

money-grubbing(adjective)
    moneygrubbing(adjective)
    Translate money-grubbing to
    Choose languageAfrikaansArabicBosnianBulgarianCatalanChinese SimplifiedChinese TraditionalCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFinnishFrenchGermanGreekHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianItalianJapaneseKoreanLatvianLithuanianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbian (Cyrillic)SlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishTamilThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelsh
    No translation found.