Lost Gospel Series

by peacefulpete 2 Replies latest watchtower bible

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I thought it would be fun to take a brief look at various Gospels in use by Christians of the first few centuries CE. One each week. A few weeks back I posted regarding the Egerton Gospel which I cleverly misspelled Edgerton Gospel.

For now consider the Oxyrhynchus Gospel 840:

". . . earlier, before doing wrong, he slyly reasons everything out. Be careful that you do not end up suffering the same fate as them. For the evil-doers of humanity receive retribution not only among the living, but they will also undergo punishment and much torture later."
    Taking them along, he went into the place of purification itself and wandered around in the temple. Then a certain high priest of the Pharisees named Levi came toward them and said to the savior, "Who permitted you to wander in this place of purification and to see these holy vessels, even though you have not bathed and the feet of your disciples have not been washed? And now that you have defiled it, you walk around in this pure area of the temple where only a person who has bathed and changed his clothes can walk, and even such a person does not dare to look upon these holy vessels."
    Standing nearby with his disciples, the savior replied, "Since you are here in the temple too, are you clean?"
    The Pharisee said to him, "I am clean. For I bathed in the pool of David. I went down into the pool by one set of stairs and came back out by another. Then I put on white clothes and they were clean. And then I came and looked at these holy vessels."
    Replying to him, the savior said, "Woe to blind people who do not see! You have washed in the gushing waters that dogs and pigs are thrown into day and night. And when you washed yourself, you scrubbed the outer layer of skin, the layer of skin that prostitutes and flute-girls anoint and wash and scrub when they put on make up to become the desire of the men. But inside they are filled with scorpions and all unrighteousness. But my disciples and I, whom you say have not washed, we have washed in waters of eternal life that come from the God of heaven. But woe to those . . . "

The fragment preserved was a 4th century portable codex copy, perhaps meant for public instruction, but the text is dated much earlier, mid first to mid second century. Similar in age to the Canonical Gospels, this text shows similar styling and theme yet, as far as this fragment can tell us, no direct dependence on them. This is an original composition, another apparently independent Gospel tradition tragically lost.

Recall the Synoptic Gospels (Mark, Matt and Luke) are in reality just 3 recensions of the same story. Gospel John shows a familiarity with the Synoptics but is no mere redaction, rather an original retelling with a flavor distinctive of a community on the fringes of what the Catholic Fathers can accommodate in their efforts to formulate a universalizing dogma. That's what makes the G.John so much more interesting. Same would probably be said of Oxy 840 had it survived. What we do know is that it was treasured and preserved for hundreds of years.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks PPete ! fascinating !

The Oxyrhynchus Papyri is a huge collection, much of it yet to be transcribed, and translated, a job that will not be completed in our lifetimes. It is hugely important because of all the secular stuff in the collection, of huge interest and use to Historians, and the Biblical stuff, of interest to Scholars, and us of course !

What a great idea ! bringing to us a chunk each week ! Thank you for your work, I wonder what new treasures will surface as the work of studying the Papyri continues !

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

As Phizzy mentioned the Oxyrhychus hoard has a number of relevant texts. Here is the Oxy 1224:

Fragment 1: recto

01 [ . . . ] in everything
    02 [ . . . ]. Truly,
    03 [I say to you . . . ]

Fragment 2: recto, col. ii
    1[73]

01 It weighed me down. And [approach-]
    02 ing [i]n a vis[ion], Jesus [said,]
    03 "Why are you dis[cour]aged? For not [ . . . ]
    04 [y]ou, but the [ . . . ]
    05 [ . . . ]

Fragment 2: verso, col. i

01 [ . . . ] "you [sai]d, although you are not answer-
    02 [ing. What then did] you [re]nounce? W[h]at
    03 [is] the ne[w] doct[rine] [that they say]
    04 [you] te[ach, or what is the] new [b]a[ptism]
    05 [that you proclaim? Ans]wer and . . .

Fragment 2: verso, col. ii
    [175]

01 When the scribes an[d Pharisees]
    02 and priests sa[w hi]m,
    03 they were angry [that with sin]ners
    04 (right in the middle of them) [he was reclining.]
    05 But when Jesus heard, he said,
    06 "Those who are [healthy ha]ve [no need]
    07 [of a physician . . . ]

Fragment 2: recto, col. ii
    [1]76

01 [ . . . a]nd p[r]ay for
    02 your [ene]mies. For the one who is not
    03 [against yo]u is for you.
    04 [The one who i]s far away [today], tomorrow
    05 will be [near you] and in
    06 [ . . . ] the advers[ary]
    07 [ . . . ]

As would be expected the text is fragmentary. It was part of a book form papyrus collection with page numbers. Again it is impossible to be dogmatic but ranges of date of composition are 50-150CE,similar to the canonical gospel forms. There are some obvious similarity of thought, yet with significant divergent material, suggesting another independent stream of tradition.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit