Are You No Longer Interested in the Arts?

by compound complex 18 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, New Friends and Old:

I've been here some nine years now and have learned a lot. Made many dear friends. We're all grateful to Simon and Angharad for providing a forum to discuss every manner of subjects. The main objective has been to deal with life as JWs and, now, as former JWs. That's the purpose of this great forum. Bravo!

What I have observed -- hence the curious title to this thread -- is that the strong contingent of forum members who started and supported the various posts on the arts is. largely, gone. Change and shift in direction are fine. What is peculiar to me, however, is that active JWs I know through social media and in person are actively involved in literature, music, art, dance, sports events, etc. They talk about the above, they participate in it.

Back to my question. We rarely ever discuss non-JW matters here any more. Forum members who, for example, mention they've written a book, receive few replies. Sure, you have activities outside the forum, but you seldom bring them up here.

Since I brought up "Senior Moments" yesterday (and appreciate the comments), it may very well be that I just read all your newsy posts and FORGOT THEM!

Best.

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

Got it!

Thanks for the like!

CC

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    What is peculiar to me, however, is that active JWs I know through social media and in person are actively involved in literature, music, art, dance, sports events, etc. They talk about the above, they participate in it.

I agree about the changing nature of this board. In nostalgic moments I regret the passing of some of the great members of the past who could submit content that surpassed mine intellectually and creatively, but time moves on, perhaps this is common to older people?

Re the active dubs, as quoted above... Sorry but I do not see that around here. There is zero interest ,at least in conversation, about the arts of any form. As for sport? If you dare admit an interest one gets the cold looks they reserve for the "weak" . Competition and nationalism are taboo.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I'm interested in the arts

What is peculiar to me, however, is that active JWs I know through social media and in person are actively involved in literature, music, art, dance, sports events, etc. They talk about the above, they participate in it.

I never met any

This afternoon I sat in front of a log fire with a glass or two of wine in a very old house chatting about art and artists with a customer of mine. I never had anything like that as a Witness.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    It's part of my anonymity here that I don't mention sports and arts that I am a fan of or personally involved in.
  • compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, BluesBrother, Ucantnome, and FayeDunaway, for responding.

Could be a regional thing re: JW activities. Here -- California -- the JWs have theme parties, root online for their favorite sports teams, go to rock concerts, etc. And these are active, gung-ho JWs. No censure whatsoever.

As I wrote, it could be a West Coast thing; however, a few decades back, all of the above would have been absolutely forbidden. Local needs talks . . . reproof . . . shame. . . .

Gratefully,

CC

• chicken little
    chicken little

Here in Scandinavia there are many ex Jws who have an interest in art and music. We have also a few media personalities who are ex jws. We were in a pretty laid back english congregation that was the original start up cong back in the 70's for all the foreign language groups. We had poets, artists and ex professional musicians.

It was interesting back in the 80's and the dress style was so cool, pioneer brothers with old army shoulder bags and parker coats for service (it is cold here in the winter). Sisters with very avant garde hairstyles and dress, knew some with nose piercing back in the 90's. All that slowly changed as the groups became congregations and conformed to the norm.

Some of the brothers have art galleries and some of the exjws do too. These days we have seen some jws become models working in europe/bloggers etc. It is a changing world once again but many keep it quiet.

There are two camps the really open minded and the closed. They both look down on each other and yet still seem to go along with all the jw propaganda, at least on the surface.

We had a brother who has sadly died, he was a character and a half, great artist, sailor, ran away to sea at 14. Fantastic cook, his get togethers were fantastic sitting around a long wobbly table surrounded by scores of canvasses full of colour and shapes/cubism or in the style of Georgia O' Keeffe. He would laugh with his big belly shaking when I asked about a picture if it was for sale. He called himself an art prostitute, he would paint anything anyone wanted he said.

Strangely the painting I bought, a very big oil painting cubism style, he kept photos of on his personal web page, I bought it over 27 years ago so it was touching to see it meant that much to him. I look at it every day and still love it. So yes we had different types. In London where my husband grew up jazz was the secret pass time for some of the elders in our congregation. Some played in a small band in pubs around S.E. London, again only those who were in the know found out.

Glad to hear you still have your appreciation intact, as for me without literature I would have not survived my youth.

Kind regards

Chicken little ( I will send you a picture of my painting if you would like to see it in a pm)

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    I'm interested in the arts CoCo. I listen to classical music all day when not at work and visit art galleries when I'm on holiday. I read and enjoy poetry. I started a poetry thread on here once. I also talk about philosophy on here but it gets blasted as nonsense. Pretty bored actually, David, Goliath and all that. You know what I mean dear Coco.
  • Terry
    Terry

The idea of JDubs as artistic intellectuals is mind-boggling.

I've known smart ones but seldom was their artistic side reflected in conversancy with Art or Literature.

Mostly it devolved down to Stephen King novels and movies.

I've not ever seen a real piece of Art in the house or apartment of a Dub.

Perhaps this is reflected in the economic status of Dubs, in general--dunno.

Dubs only have strong opinions when they are backed up by the Borg.

Criticism is of a certain bent and seldom is it directed toward any purpose other than to decry

how un-Theocratic something is.

We use to have Philosophy Topics here about a decade ago.

I brought Ayn Rand a few times and was pounced on by persons who didn't care to

talk about her ideas, only her personality and private life.

Several Topics concerning movies have passed through here. I like those discussions. Rarely are Art films the topic. Let's face it, most theaters can't afford to take up space with poorly attended flicks.

I think sales of Classical music are so few (in comparison with Popular music) there will soon be generations of young folks who know absolutely less than nothing about Beethoven, Bach, Brahms, Stravinsky, Schuman, Prokofiev, Rachmaninoff, etc.

The wonderful popular music of the 30's (Gershwin, Cole Porter, etc) was quite artistic--but--once again, what Youth of today (unless they are "Hipster") talks about it on an Ex-JDub site?

I guess it's up to us, Coco.

Alas!

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    The idea of JDubs as artistic intellectuals is mind-boggling.

Yes I agree Terry. One of them who came to our house said seeing shelves full of books like the ones we had actually frightened them.

We use to have Philosophy Topics here about a decade ago.
    Good grief, those days are long gone Terry. What happened to those interesting people I wonder? Perhaps it's time I was long gone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit