My favorite video from the 2019 convention

by George One Time 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• George One Time
    George One Time

I love this video, not because it promotes Jehovah's love.... but because it indirectly discusses a subject that helped me to question my beliefs.

https://www.jw.borg/en/library/videos/#en/mediaitems/LatestVideos/pub-jwbcov_201905_11_VIDEO

(Creation Reveals Jehovah's Love)

It is the first clip, and it is about how elements are formed. The interesting thing however, is that it explains how stars evolve and explode.

But what about the star next to us, our sun. Will it end? The Bible says so! (Psalms 126:25,26) So it became crystal clear to me that eternal life for humans is just not possible.

I'm still PIMO. Any idea how I can bring this subject up with the friends?

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Ch. 126 only has 6 verses. What scripture are you referring to?

• George One Time
    George One Time

Sorry, it should be Psalms 102:25,26

• cofty
    cofty

All of the elements heavier than carbon were formed in the heart of an exploding star.

We are made of star-stuff. Look at your hands and reflect that there are atoms in your left hand that formed in a different star from atoms in your right hand.

• waton
    waton

stars as elementary forges prove, that the bible, right from the first verse is wrong.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

Here are a few points to consider regarding astronomy and Bible.

Why doesn’t the Bible talk about some basic astronomy like…

The Earth revolving around the sun

The Planetary system.

How the sun works.

Our sun is also a medium sized star, but the Bible writers are ignorant of this

Instead of mentioning that Solomon had 600 wives and 300 concubines, if the Bible had explained the above info, it would have been much Delightful!!

Also, that a good catch that the heavens would perish (Psalms 102:25,26) but the JWs would explain that as Figurative speech.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Psalm 102 :25,26

25 In the beginning you laid the foundations of the earth,
    and the heavens are the work of your hands.
    26 They will perish, but you remain;
    they will all wear out like a garment.
    Like clothing you will change them
    and they will be discarded.

JW's will claim that this means that God will make sure that life will go on by using other available planets that have been made suitable for human inhabitants.

• Half banana
    Half banana

The Bible is such a jumble of styles of writing from different eras and diverse cultures -- Egyptian, Babylonian, Canaanite, Phoenician, Persian, Greek and Roman to be precise. The Psalm here quoted only makes sense as a panegyric; a praise of God and the subsequent benefits of being his subjects. It's all poetry folks, it does not have to be true, just a religious meme to give fuzzy comfort to the believers by reprising cultural themes.

If it was from the creator, if there were such a thing, he would know his heavens were not perched just above the Earth subject to removal or falling as another scripture says (Rev 6:13) then he or it would then not use this illustration. However the Bible is all too human and reflects merely the hopes, beliefs and limited astronomical perceptions of the writers.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Their are a number of scriptures that speak of a new heavens and a new earth ,so I don`t think you would get much traction out of using that scripture in Psalms with a JW .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit