Conversation on FB with a witness who doesn't know me

by Peony 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Peony
    Peony

So on my facebook feed this morning pops up a picture with the words 'Jehovahs Witnesses the Happiest people on Earth' I have no idea why i can see this must have come from a friend of a friend! Anyway i take a quick peak at the comments, about 30 of them all saying the same JW Propoganda. Then ,non JW, makes a comment about a terrible person she knows that is a JW and that JW's break up families and listen to man and not God.

JW Replies: Just because someone says they're from a certain faith doesn't mean they're living it. It's not God that breaks up families, People make that decision.

So I'm afraid this is red rag to a bull for me as i disassociated from the religion and will not take the blame for the fact that family are shunning me and I'm not sure I believe in God anymore but I'm sure he doesn't want to be blamed either, so I answer.

Me: 'JW' I think you have just agreed with 'non JW' she says you believe what man says and not God, you say God does not break up families.......So presumably the shunning of Disfellowshipped/Disassociated ones has come from Men.

JW: Thats from the Bible

Me: So GOD breaks up families then? Does he tell you to shun people? Where is that Scripture?

JW: Read the bible its pretty clear, God doesn't break up families, he tells you how to have a happy family. He doesn't force anyone to worship him, Dont worry.

Me: I like that he wants us to have a happy family, that is how it should be, but I'm Confused, you said shunning had come from the bible......how does not talking to a family member help you to have a happy family life? If God doesnt force any to worship him, how come if you leave you lose your family? Is that not emotional Blackmail? At this point i can believe she hasn't cottoned on!!!

JW: The only way you get disfellowshipped is if you are committing Gross Sin, (blah blah lists every Gross sin) Be glad he gives you guidelines and then upholds them. But it is a free will choice, we have free will to listen or not. (yeah right)! Then i get an example of a married man having an affair.......she goes on and on about this. And then says : so what breaks up families - affairs.

( i ignore the bit about the affair as i'm feeling she has issues) Me: So what if you have done nothing wrong (broken no laws) and just disassociate because you just don't want to be a witness anymore (as you said God does not force us to worship him) why then do they get shunned and again where is the scriptural basis for that?

JW: You're not (now i'm confused, is there new light, am i not shunned anymore)!

JW: (before i get to answer) She does me a screen shot of 1 Cor 5

Me: That's talking about those who have done something wrong........what about those that just disassociate?

JW: Hebrews 10.26 Once you willfully know the truth from God and Turn your back on it etc

Again before i can answer she gives me a gift from heaven JW: Again, all in the bible, even the King James Bible.

Me: The King James Bible says 'if you sin willfully there will be no sacrifice for sins' so we are still talking about sin. Maybe your bible has been changed to fit your beliefs. You still have shown no scriptural proof that says to shun those who choose (because of God given free will) to leave.

Here comes the avoidance tactic JW: I'm happy I know the truth. You sound bitter and unhappy living 'as you please', (she goes on about boundaries being there for a reason. And then harps on about the sin of christmas and easter (more avoidance) And based on this conversation you are either disfellowshipped or disassociated (finally she gets it) so i will let the bible speak for itself 1 Tim 3.16 (this killed me i think she meant 2 Tim 3.16)

I'm rumbled so i got everything off my chest, i have had a year to think about this!!

Me: You've obviously got me wrong, I am not bitter at all, I have the best life ever......I walked away and disassociated myself which is why I have the best life ever. I could not be associated with an organisation that told me that the UN were the Wild Beast and yet were members for 10 years! Your own organisation book says if someone affiliates themselves with an organisation contrary to Gods Kingdom then they have disassociated themselves, Your own organisation has done that, ironic! An organisation that has covered up over 1000 child abuse cases in Australia and are currently under investigation there. Also under investigation by the Charity Commission in the UK for their practices added to the fact that my monthly donations went to pay out of court settlements worth millions of dollars to those abused while many abusers are not disfellowshipped and enjoy good standing in the congregations. So yes I have been surprised that i am shunned for exercising my God given free will and left. I know there is no scriptural basis for shunning disassociated ones which was why I was trying to get you to use your critical thinking skills and question that teaching. As you could not answer my question and give scriptural support to your beliefs I emplore you to question what you are taught. It is mans word, not Gods. I only answered this as it came up on my fb feed and made me chuckle 'JW's happiest people on earth'....half my congregation were on anti depressants! So I am not bitter, I am happy to out of it and wouldnt trade that for anything. Perhaps you had better not reply now you know, its not worth you getting into trouble over, I genuinely wish you well.

Well that was it, needless to say it disappeared off fb but hopefully some of the previous posters had seen at least some of it ( i doubt if it will make a jot of difference but i do believe you can't unsee something once you have seen it)

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

To be honest with you... she probably stopped reading and deleted the post at the UN bit of information.

I would advise, next time, to stick to your guns and simply asks the same question again. You may also expose her tactics.

For instance: You have yet to answer my question. Instead, you have used "ad hominem", that is, attacking the person making the argument rather than offering counter arguments. This is what you have done by calling me bitter, unhappy, disfellowshipped or disassociated. Please stay on track and explain, from the bible, why someone that did not commit a gross sin, should be shunned by his own family should he choose to leave the witnesses?

• Freeandclear
    Freeandclear
    Nice job. They have taken the red pill (or was it the blue one?) and you can never wake them up from the matrix. But all you can do is try. It's very sad how deluded they are and how they shut their minds off the minute anything is said that disagrees with the WTS. I was there once myself as I'm sure most of us in here were....... Too bad they are wasting their lives. Then again, which is better? The steak in the matrix (Paradise just around the corner) or the gruel in the ship (the real truth about life, that there are no real answers to the big questions and well just have to wait and see?) I prefer to think of myself as that one young man on the ship that was enthusiastic about the nourishing gruel. He viewed it as a great thing, and I prefer to look at the mysteries of life as a great thing too. Either something else is out there or it's not and we won't know anyway. So that free's me to live the best life I can NOW and hope for the best at the end.
  • Peony
    Peony

Stephane I doubt she read any of the last comment.....but deep down I hope she will know that she was unable to give scriptural proof. I had the same thing when I was in.....I couldn't answer why the God of the Old Testament was cruel I dreaded being asked it in the ministry. I think waking up is a process of many things combined, all we can do is hopefully chip away.

Free and Clear, I'm happy to wait and see about the future and isn't gruel a bit like porridge, I'm Scottish, love a bit of porridge, lol

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Nice try may get her thinking. In my experience one needs to stay on point and never ever say your an ex jw, their brain turns off at that point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit