Vultures are Circling

by dobby 4 Replies latest jw friends

• dobby
    dobby

Well in the last three weeks I have had three run-ins with local JW's. It is interesting because when I moved to this area 2 and a half years ago I only attended a handful of meetings before becoming inactive and no one has come by to talk to us in at least two years.

The first meeting was a visit by a brother stopping at my front door out in service on a Sat. morning. I told him we were eating breakfast and it wasn't a good time.

The second meeting was in the grocery store (incidentally buying my Halloween pumpkins). A sister approached me and said "Do you go to the Kingdom Hall?" "No." I said "You look very familiar" she said, "Do I look familiar to you?" "Nope", I said. And walked away. Truthfully, I couldn't remember her from Adam, however my husband and I are an interracial couple which may make us stand out in people's memory. She must have seen me at the Hall one time.

Third meeting was literally two days later. Another sister comes by my house. I REALLY don't remember her from Adam, Eve or anyone else. She acts like we are long lost friends. Tells me that she has been thinking of me and my family, etc. She launches into this big long speech on my front porch. I just stare at her, wondering what would have happened if we had carved the pumpkins and placed them out already. Somewhere in our one-sided conversation she asks me for a hug. I oblige then say "Well it's nice that you were thinking of us." Before she leaves she asks me "what my name is again". I am sure she was sent by some elder with messy records to clean up.

Anyhoo...I think we are on their books and they want to take some action. Possible the CO was in town. I don't know but the whole thing just made me angry. I really don't care if they are trying to take action against us, I was more angered by people who treat you like they are your best friend and they can't even remember your name. Yet, if I told them how I felt about the society they would drop me like a sack of dirt. Frankly, I stayed stone-faced because I enjoy keeping them guessing. It's fun to watch them squirm.

• blondie
    blondie

Well, dobby, they know where you live. Unless you move, you can't change that.

My motto,

If they drop by without an invite, they are not my friend. My friends call first. So let them know that, call first. If they are such close friends, they will know your name and can find it in the telephone book.

You can always call the KH and tell an elder to mark it down not to call on you any more.

I have been inactive for 6 months and not attending meetings for almost a year. No one has been by...see they know how I feel about drop-ins.

I'm sure they want to catch you doing something wrong. My husband was an elder and many a "visit" was done with that in mind, catching people smoking, have a "friend" over, holiday paraphernalia, etc. He was even instructed to rummage through their CDs and videos to see if any were R-rated.

Don't let them intimidate you. If they want a hug, say only if they know what your name is (smile) or tell them you have the flu...they'll back off.

Blondie

• Sassy
    Sassy

Thats why moving was a priority for me. To be somewhere new that no one knows me, knows I ever was a witness. You could even have a neighbor who is a witness and they wont' shun you because they don't know any more than you are a neighbor, to them a worldly neighbor.

I hope you don't get hassled too much Dobby. You can vent with us all you want. We understand.

• Gadget
    Gadget

She acted like your best friend, but didn't even know your name? It speaks volumes about the amount of 'love' she had for you.

• datsdethspicable
    datsdethspicable

You should have given her a made up name like Helen Zass or Ima Postate .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit