Jehovah God and Jesus Christ the difference in the "Old Testament " and the "New Testament"

by smiddy 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy
    smiddy

When you compare all the communications Jehovah God had with humans whether it was by Angels ,dreams ,or Prophets as well as his intervention in human affairs when it suited him and their are many examples in the Old testament to look at for about 4000 years

The same cannot be said for Jesus Christ as King of Kings to sit on the Throne to rule over the earth for a thousand years

In one sense he was King of Christians 2000 years ago In another sense according to JW`s he was enthroned in 1914-18 for the next 1000 years.

Whether you believe he was King over Christians on his ascencion to heaven or his enthronement in 1914-18 for 2000 + years we have not had any communication from either God Jehovah or Christ Jesus in any form one way or another.for the past 2000 years.

For the first 4000 years you couldnt shut Jehovah up ,and the next 2000 years you dont here a beep out of Jehovah or Christ jesus.

For JW apologists when God gave a ruling/decree in the Old Testament how many times did he adjust /redefine/change what he said using the excuse "the light gets brighter and brighter" ? NONE

And yet JW`s would have you believe God has been continuously doing this for the past 100 years not being able to give a precise or concise direction that didnt need to be changed after a couple of years .

• zeb
    zeb

you make interesting observations. I feel there is something missing..

• anointed1
    anointed1

Even the 1st Century communication is attributed to him. If he had really communicated with his people, he would not have used phrase such as "Look, I am coming soon!” (Revelation 22:7). If one knew he was not going to come even after 2000 years, his original wording should have been very different. That means wordings, concepts were all put into his mouth by human writers.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Or the entire bible was not meant to be anything of what all christian denominations, including the WT say it's to be.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel
    Smiddy » For the first 4000 years you couldnt shut Jehovah up, and the next 2000 years you dont here a beep out of Jehovah or Christ Jesus.

Actually, while your point is valid, the above isn't the case at all. There were many long stretches where God didn't speak. As I noted elsewhere, when Gabriel appeared to Zachariah, the father of John the Baptist, and told him his elderly wife was going to have a son, it had been more than 400 years since God had spoken. There were many false prophets over the years, and they spoke frequently; however, real prophets came along only when it was necessary, and for the benefit of the people.

Also, the early Christians believed that Jesus was Jehovah. They viewed Jehovah as being the Son of God and the great Mediator between God and Man. When Moses and his people "saw the God of Israel," and when Moses spoke to God "face to face," (see Exodus 28 and 33), they were not speaking about God the Father. Moses wasn't the great Mediator between God and Man -- it was Yahweh, the Son of the Father.

Matthew tells us of a lamentation made by Jesus while he was yet in mortality:

O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not! (Matthew 23:37)

This clearly doesn't apply to the thirty two years he had lived in mortality. Many of those years he most likely didn't know himself who he had been in premortality. Plus, in his lifetime he had more miracles, and there were many more angelic visits and laws given than at any other time in history. Jesus began his church, gave detailed instructions on how it should be run and after his resurrection spent 40 days giving his disciples special instructions, none of which the JWs have any inkling of. Then Paul speaks of going to the third heaven and seeing and hearing things it wasn't lawful to repeat, again which the Governing Body knows nothing about.

For JW apologists when God gave a ruling/decree in the Old Testament how many times did he adjust /redefine/change what he said using the excuse "the light gets brighter and brighter"?

NONE

And yet JW`s would have you believe God has been continuously doing this for the past 100 years not being able to give a precise or concise direction that didnt need to be changed after a couple of years.

Absolutely. If God spoke anciently when he wanted to do something, it shows God was an active force in accomplishing his will. "For ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you and ordained you," Jesus told his apostles. And in the Old Testament, God told Jeremiah, "Before I formed thee in the belly, I knew thee. And before thou camest forth from the womb, I sanctified thee and ordained thee a prophet unto the nations."

Yet now, in the last days, God has decided to change from active to passive. The church forms first, then the Lord comes out and selects them. Anciently God speaks to man and man complies; now man speaks and God complies! But while it's a great setup if you can get it all worked out, there is the problem of God never changing. In the past, God was visible when he appeared. Now he's invisible when he comes.

It's also strange that the saints are now called "Witnesses" when they really haven't seen or heard anything. "Well, what are you witnesses of?" Answer: nothing, really, because everything was invisible! His coming, his being appointed King, his selection of a publishing company as his divine will. And instead of being chosen and ordained, they choose God and ordain themselves!

Active versus passive. And they've never explained that aspect of their foundation.

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

Then again, maybe he spoke to us again through the Koran.(just joking!)

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Another point that should be brought out is how much Jesus contradicts the teachings of jevovah.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

And how did Jesus contradict Yahweh?

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Old testament -old covenant

New testament- new, better covenant

just saying what the NWT states, so that's a difference

31 “Look! The days are coming,” declares Jehovah, “when I will make with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah a new covenant.+ 32 It will not be like the covenant that I made with their forefathers on the day I took hold of their hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt,+ ‘my covenant that they broke,+although I was their true master,’* declares Jehovah.”33 “For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” declares Jehovah. “I will put my law within them,+ and in their heart I will write it.+ And I will become their God, and they will become my people.”+34 “And they will no longer teach each one his neighbor and each one his brother, saying, ‘Know Jehovah!’+ for they will all know me, from the least to the greatest of them,”+ declares Jehovah. “For I will forgive their error, and I will no longer remember their sin.”+

3 For you are shown to be a letter of Christ written by us as ministers,+ inscribed not with ink but with the spirit of a living God, not on stone tablets+but on fleshly tablets, on hearts.+4 We have this sort of confidence toward God through the Christ. 5 Not that we of ourselves are adequately qualified to consider that anything comes from us, but our being adequately qualified comes from God,+ 6 who has indeed adequately qualified us to be ministers of a new covenant,+ not of a written code,+ but of spirit; for the written code condemns to death,+but the spirit makes alive.+

6 But now Jesus has obtained a more excellent ministry* because he is also the mediator+ of a correspondingly better covenant,+ which has been legally established on better promises.+7 If that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no need for a second.+ 8 For he does find fault with the people when he says: “‘Look! The days are coming,’ says Jehovah,* ‘when I will make with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah a new covenant. 9 It will not be like the covenant that I made with their forefathers on the day I took hold of their hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt,+ because they did not remain in my covenant, so I stopped caring for them,’ says Jehovah.*10 “‘For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days,’ says Jehovah.* ‘I will put my laws in their mind, and in their hearts I will write them.+ And I will become their God, and they will become my people.+

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit