Some light on "new light" please

by link 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• link
    link

Is it possible for anyone to give me a clearer understanding of the"new light" doctrine?

The way I currently understand it from reading the Bible is that as time passes and events
    unfold the meaning of certain information given in the Scriptures will become clearer.
    I do not see anywhere where it indicates that new light is a method of replacing one
    understanding with a completely new and different one. It appears to be a method of adding
    to existing knowledge, not a way of replacing that knowledge with something completely
    different.

The WTS seem to have a completely different understanding of the principle and they use the
    new light doctrine to make 180 and sometimes 360 degree turns in their teaching. Is there
    something in the Bible to back up their understanding that I have missed. There in fact
    does not appear to be anything in the Bible to indicate that new light even applies to doctrinal
    matters, it appears to relate only to the explanations that it gives redarding certain matters.

I would appreciate the opinions of those interested in such matters.

link

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    The way I currently understand it from reading the Bible is that as time passes and events
    unfold the meaning of certain information given in the Scriptures will become clearer.

Actually, even that isn't found in the Bible. Look at the context of Pr 4:18:

14 Into the path of the wicked ones do not enter, and do not walk straight on into the way of the bad ones. 15

Shun it, do not pass along by it; turn aside from it, and pass along. 16 For they do not sleep unless they do badness, and their sleep has been snatched away unless they cause someone to stumble. 17 For they have fed themselves with the bread of wickedness, and the wine of acts of violence is what they drink. 18 But the path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established. 19 The way of the wicked ones is like the gloom; they have not known at what they keep stumbling.

It's not about doctrine or understanding at all. It's about God's blessing on the lifestyle of the righteous.

There are scriptures that speak of prophecy being sealed until the time of the end (Da 12:4), and of a time when "that which is partial will be done away with" (1 Cor 13:10). There seems to be some implication in this scriptures of a new revelation, possibly at the time of the Second Advent. But there is no implication, that I can find, of gradual or progressive revelation.

• DJ
    DJ

Link,

Have you ever read that in context? I am so weary of remembering teachings that were taken out of the context and twisted to suit their means.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Yep, it's another scripture that they pull out of context to suit their need.

• link
    link

Many thanks for the responses,

I did need to look again at the references and this pointed me in the right direction.

Thanks

link

• mizpah
    mizpah

I remember the Watchtower explaining that these changes in teachings were like a "boat tacking in the wind." The only problem with that was some of its teachings returned to those of Russell. (Example: Ro.13:l ) Instead of going forward they returned to the beginning. In other words "new light" was the "old light." It sounds like sailing backwards to me....

• JT
    JT

just my 2

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Look what Watchower said about this doctrinal reversal:?If we were following a man undoubtedly it would be different with us; undoubtedly one human idea would contradict another and that which was light one or two years ago would be regarded as darkness now. But with God there is no variableness, neither shadow of turning, and so it is with truth; any knowledge or light coming from God must be like its author. A new view of truth never can contradict a former truth. ?new Light? never extinguishes older ?light,? but adds to it.? (WT Feb. 1881,page3)

Thus, the Society claims that the date 1914, as signifying the end of the Gentile Times, is a "fundamental Bible truth." Equally one might reasonably expect that the Society's claim for the establishment of the Kingdom in 1914 would also be considered to be a fundamental truth. That presents a dilemma; if it is indeed the case that "no foundational doctrines of the WTS have changed" as some claim, then, logically we can only conclude that the "establishment of the Kingdom in 1914" is not a "fundamental Kingdom truth," because the date for that event has been changed. Holding the position that "no fundamental doctrines have changed" thus requires one to invent quite arbitrary and ridiculous definitions of what is "fundamental." This also produces a tautology.

Q: Which doctrines have not changed? A; The fundamental ones.

Q: Which are the fundamental docrtines? A: Those which have not changed.

This is the only way to validate the doctrine of New Light which is supposed not to affect fundamental teachings.

In summary, we can conclude that the claims made by the Society for the date 1914, according to the Society itself, are central to its existence. Revising the date 1914, or, better, abandoning this absurd chronology altogether, would sweep away the last vestiges of the authority claimed by the Society for its teaching that it is engaged in a special work that is directed by Jehovah and Jesus and that these are the last days.

The recent change in the teaching on "this generation" in reality represents the abandonment of the date 1914 as a date of significance without actually doing so explicitly. If Jesus came to power in 1914, with, however, no observable effects on this planet, and if the subsequent "last days" period can extend for an unbounded period of time, then what is the good of knowing the date 1914 in the first place? In effect, this puts JWs in exactly the same position as other Christians who do not claim special knowledge of that invisible event in 1914.

Posted by Running Man [RunningMan] on August 18, 2000 at 10:29:24 {QCmrIpEC7.lLCr7htMtU1l4cklgBgk}:

In Reply to: LATEST WT "FLIP-FLOP" posted by / You Know on August 18, 2000 at 08:52:33:

I got the impression that you feel that there is nothing wrong with changing doctrines in light of changing times. Well, I hate to tell you this, but the very source that is changing the doctrines today, has itself thoroughly condemned this practice.

You said:

"In point of fact, it is perfectly within the Watchtower's right to change our policy..."

According to the Society:

"It is a serious matter to represent God and Christ in one way, then find that our understanding of the major teachings and fundamental doctrines of the Scriptures was in error, and then after that, to go back to the very doctrines that, by years of study, we had thoroughly determined to be in error. CHRISTIANS CANNOT BE VACILLATING - 'wishy washy' - about such fundamental teachings. WHAT CONFIDENCE CAN ONE PUT IN THE SINCERITY OR JUDGEMENT OF SUCH PERSONS." (Watchtower 5/15/76 p 298)

"If you are a Catholic, can you understand how a practice that was considered by the church a 'mortal sin' can suddenly be approved? If it was a sin five years ago, why is it not today? ... The change in teaching has shaken their confidence in the church. Would you not feel the same way if what you had always been taught to be vital for salvation was suddenly considered unnecessary? WOULD YOU NOT BE INCLINED TO QUESTION OTHER TEACHINGS OF YOUR CHURCH ALSO?" (Awake 4/22/70 p8)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit