If you had the opportunity to create religious doctrine from scratch,what rule would your church or nation have?

by Chook 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Chook
    Chook

Would you teach a heaven , hell, Jesus , paradise. What rule structure for discipline ect ,ect,

• waton
    waton

I would look at how and where nature is successful, and build on that. strive for excellence.

no talking snakes and spin on that.

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

I would teach the heavenly calling for all Christians, no hell just death, and paradise after the thousand years have ended. Jesus would be taught as having deity.

I would have transparency from the top down. A bi-annual report on how much the church brought in donations and to the exact penny where those donations went. I would allow all to vote on what projects to do and how to spend the money. After all, it's their church right?

I would never prevent people from asking questions, of any kind. We all know the questions that can land us in the elders room and from there the possibility to a JC, well in my church there would be no such thing. Ask away. It would be stated from the platform that questioning is a good thing. We have truths from the Bible, so it ought to stand up to scrutiny.

I don't know how I would implement discipline. I haven't gotten that far on my spiritual journey. People could have beards if they wanted, or any hair style for that matter, and that subject would never even come up in any sermon or private conversation. The WT makes it a big deal by always talking about it. You can where whatever you are comfortable wearing to church. While I don't smoke, smokers would not have any sanctions on them at all, nor would it be a topic for the church to say anything about, one way or the other. So if you've read this far you can see that there's not a lot a person can get stumbled on in my blessed congregation. :)

There would be church picknics, a youth group and seniors group too.

Now, how I would accomplish all of this, well, there are smarter people out there than me, so I would let them handle that. I just want God without Watchtower.

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

Just one: don't be an asshole.

• Simon
    Simon

No fat chicks. I think that's something we can all agree on, right?

They can go to "the Church of the Fatter Comp-laints" (geddit?)

• smiddy
    smiddy

I would have ten Commandments .

1. Do not follow an imaginary God

2.Shed your superstitions that a GOD exists .

3.You do not have to follow anybody.

4.Their is no priesthood or clergy class

5.Follow your dreams and aspirations.

6. Live life to the full .

7. Be theire for friend and neighbour

8.Dont think too much of yourself

9.Be forgiving

10.Be honest and true to yourself

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Water

If I were called in
    To construct a religion
    I should make use of water.

Going to church
    Would entail a fording
    To dry, different clothes;

My liturgy would employ
    Images of sousing,
    A furious devout drench,

And I should raise in the east
    A glass of water
    Where any-angled light
    Would congregate endlessly.

Philip Larkin

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I love Larkin Slim'. Auden's 'The More Loving One' was often espoused by Hitchens as a basis for a secular religion of sorts:

Looking up at the stars, I know quite well
    That, for all they care, I can go to hell,
    But on earth indifference is the least
    We have to dread from man or beast.

How should we like it were stars to burn
    With a passion for us, we could not return?
    If equal affection cannot be
    Let the more loving one be me.

Admirer as I think I am
    Of stars that do not give a damn,
    I cannot, now I see them, say
    I missed one terribly all day.

Were all stars to disappear or die,
    I should learn to look at an empty sky
    And feel its total dark sublime,
    Though this might take me a little time.

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll

I don't thonk I could possibly come up with anything better than Aleister Crowley's law of Thelema:

Man has the right to live by his own law— to live in the way that he wills to do: to work as he will: to play as he will: to rest as he will: to die when and how he will.

Man has the right to eat what he will: to drink what he will: to dwell where he will: to move as he will on the face of the earth.

Man has the right to think what he will: to speak what he will: to write what he will: to draw, paint, carve, etch, mould, build as he will: to dress as he will.

Man has the right to love as he will:…"take your fill and will of love as ye will, when, where, and with whom ye will."

Man has the right to kill those who would thwart these rights.

I would have these words engraved on tablets of granite and every child would hear them sung by their parents before they were old enough to talk. And, of course, it would be understood that by 'Man' is meant all of humanity: every man, woman, boy, girl, and intersexed.

Every religion to date has been about "Do as I wilt." But Crowley said "No, don't do as I wilt, do as THOU wilt! Take responsibility for your own life. Live as a man, not a beast of burden." And of course, most people reacted with horror to such a 'selfish' doctrine. Sheep can't see beyond the whole master-slave dialectic. If you refuse to serve, you must be some sort of usurping tyrant.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Another if, fantasy, will never ever happen scenario. Ok, I'd let things exactly the way they are. In fact, the scenario doesn't make sense. First, today we do have the capacity of forming our own religion, second that fantasy scenario seems based on the premise that no other religion or way of thinking actually exist.

Anyway, since this is a never existed and never will scenario, I'd say I'd let thinks exactly the way they are since people are free to choose to believe whatever they choose, and because of the fact that anyone can come up with their own religion from scratch anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit