1984 Again

by Sam Beli 2 Replies latest social entertainment

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

You may find it of some interest to learn that one of the United States? leading musicians, Lorin Maazel, has been commissioned to write an opera; his subject matter is what he termed one of the most important books written in the 20 th century, "1984."

His new opera will be premiered in Europe, probably some time in 2005.

Maazel, Lorin (Varencove) mahzel
    (1930 ?)

Conductor, born to American parents in Neuilly, NC France. Brought to the USA as a child, he was a prodigy as a violinist, pianist, and conductor, conducting the New York Philharmonic at age 12. He studied at the University of Pittsburgh, making his professional debut as a violinist in 1945 and as a conductor in 1953. He directed the Deutsche Oper, Berlin (1965?71), the Cleveland Orchestra (1972?82), the Vienna Staatsoper (1982?4), and the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra (1988?96).

He is the recently appointed conductor of the New York Philharmonic.

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Hum,

I thought someone would actually find it a bit remarkable that this monumental effort is being based on such a (JW significant) book as 1984. Of course it is a long way off.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

2005 is a long ways off, but it sounds interesting.

I read 1984 while still a JW, but I really didn't make the connection. I saw JWism as being a refuge from this world's march towards Orwell's vision.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit