More on Witnesses and charitable works (not)

by JeffT 7 Replies latest jw friends

• JeffT
    JeffT

My wife went to a meeting at our church today to plan a missionary trip to Kenya for next March. The people she met with are part of a group that has built a school, an orphanage, and an aids clinic. She has decided that her preschool is going to help get supplies for the kids, not a hard task, they have nothing.

This sparked an ugly memory (inretrospect). About 1980 a dub who had been in Africa gave a slide show presentation about what it was like over there. Among other things he talked a lot about how filthy the water was. After the talk I remember one of the local elders saying "It's too bad somebody can't go over there and punch some wells for them, so they could have clean water."

Can you spell "DUH?" The watchtower can ship a zillion tons of paper there, but can't manage some pipe and pump? And some people here can't take a few days and go do the work?

Oh, stupid me. The time won't count.

• morty
    morty

How true Jeff, they are very selfish people...All they think about it is,how it would benifit them....if it does not make them money,then they are not in..IMOP..

mortons68

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Rbi8 1 John 3:17 ***

But whoever has this world?s means for supporting life and beholds his brother having need and yet shuts the door of his tender compassions upon him, in what way does the love of God remain in him

I bet you never noticed the little "gotcha" in the scripture that JWs use to justify not doing charitable work. They will only help a "brother". Screw everyone else.

• franklin J
    franklin J

Jeff, your comments are so true.

I tease my Catholic wife about her faith but the truth is that the Catholic faith has done SO MUCH in terms of charities around the world and the work you speak of. The Catholics even accepted me( as a non Catholic) in marriage to her, performed in a Catholic church. If I had still been a JW, they would never have allowed the marriage in a Kingdom Hall, much less kept me in good standing.

There are many charities that do good in this world for the less fortunate; Jehovahs Witnesses are not one of them

• shamus
    shamus

And I used to be right along with those elders... but would look to the "new system" (tm) to deal with they're problems.

How can they have things like this glaring right at them, and yet they do not listen? OMG, give me a break!

• micheal
    micheal

Take away food and water from anyone of the governing body and then let's see if they say " let's look to the new system". I'm sure there would be a change of policy very quickly. They are very cold and callous bastards!!!

• neyank
    neyank

People, people,people.

The WTS IS ONLY a book publishing company that uses God as bait to entrap its victoms and keep them.

They are NOT concerned with having and showing the fruits of the spirit.

That will not sell books and magazines.

All a person has to do to see what the WTBTS is all about is go to the meetings and listen to what they mainly focus on.

Is it to go out and follow Jesus's teachings on showing love to their fellow man?

Nope.

Is it going out and helping the fatherless child? How about maybe feading the hungry?

Helping the invalid? Reaching out to the downtrodden? Helping people in any way shape or form?

Uh.....NO!

Their main focus is NOT on the Way Jesus said would be the way His followers would be but on preaching. Do more, MORE, MORE!!!!!!!!!
    In the preaching work.

Ok so they will say that preaching IS what Jesus said His followers should be doing.

Did he say that they should be preaching what they are?

I don't believe He said anywhere in the scriptures that His followers should be preaching that the ONLY way to survive Armagedon is to belong to the WTS.

I don't believe it can be found anywhere in the scriptures that the ONLY way to God is thru the WTS.

That IS what is and has been the main focus of the WTS.

Its no wonder the WT followers don't get out and help their fellow man.

Acording to the WTS, that won't score points with God.

ONLY selling,placing and distributing WTS books, mags and pamplets will get you in with God.

Never mind doing what Jesus said His followers would be doing!!!!!!!

neyank

• miner
    miner

*** Rbi8 1 John 3:17 ***

But whoever has this world?s means for supporting life and beholds his brother having need and yet shuts the door of his tender compassions upon him, in what way does the love of God remain in him

I bet you never noticed the little "gotcha" in the scripture that JWs use to justify not doing charitable work. They will only help a "brother". Screw everyone else.

Do they even do that - help other Witnesses, besides paying legal bills for accused molestors?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit