Dutch Elections

by Yesu Kristo Bwana Wangu 18 Replies latest social current

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Anders, is it that difficult?

G.

• waton
    waton

Rutte's tough stand against the Turks probably cost Wilders. He outwildered the real one.

The bill for lack of identifying the real dangers ahead, will come in later. Perhaps foreign powers will not be stopped again.

Rotterdam is less than 50% original Dutch. it is not called Rotterdam for nothing.

PS there are moves underway to give full voting rights to migrants in Europe, migrants voting in elections for their home countries, voting in their host countries, Migrants outvoting the nation builders out of their nests.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

@Gorbatchov,

Yes, it is for someone who suffers from choice paralysis, is not well-informed on the subjects at hand, and normally tries to look at both sides of an issues.

Random example: should the age to qualify for state pension go from 67 back to 65?

Sure I'd like to have that money earlier, but a choice made on that now will probably not help me in 30 years. I also think it would be cool for other people to get it earlier. But someone has to pay for it. Who will that be? Would I like that?

Because I'm ill-informed I don't know the consequences. And because I don't know the concequences I'm not willing to choose a side (yet) on this issue.

Repeat this process for most of the topics that the political parties present in their programmes, and it becomes clear that many parties would be equally good/bad fitting my lack of opinion.

Choice paralysis then prevents me from picking one over the other. And I refuse to vote based solely on how friendly a politician's smile is (or isn't).

Probably next time, after I have had additional time adjusting to the real world.

• Landy
    Landy

Well done to Holland for showing the way to the rest of Europe.

Anders - get a grip man. Your vote is too important to waste on dithering.

• Landy
    Landy
    Rotterdam is less than 50% original Dutch. it is not called Rotterdam for nothing.

Tne whole of Europe is a mongrel nation. As is the US.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

@Anders,

I expect you need some time getting involved in the voting proces.

Of course, it is not allways easy. And because of the JW experience, it takes some courage to be a part of "the world".

It took me some years to vote out in the open. Because i'm a fader, i expect some repercusion if "they" observe me stepping into the voting office.

I did a strategic vote this time. Not following my heart but blocking populism by giving the excelent Mark Rutte my vote.

His quote earlyer this week made a very good expression to me: "it doesn't matter how long you are living in Holland. Maybe your family lives 400 year here. Maybe you are new here. You are welcome and equel if you have a possitive attitude to the country."

G.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

So, Mark Rutte beats the preposterous Geert Wilders.

But this - ahem, nasty, racist - populism isn't going to go away.

We all know the death of Ayaan Hirsi Ali's friend, Theo van Gogh, on the streets of Amsterdam. A note was left on his body, threatening the life of Hirsi Ali, too.

I hope Mark Rutte deals with this and other problems in the Netherlands.

If he doesn't, the Dutch electorate can always elect someone who will.

Edit: The whole of Europe is a mongrel nation - yes, but Europe still has a right to control the flow of immigration, as does the US.

• waton
    waton
    Tne whole of Europe is a mongrel nation.

do not be proud of that: Aydin Coban etal.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Dutch are known for their concensus culture. No big shocks. That's why Wilders is not in power. We like sometimes the stone in the lake he trows, but we don't trust him in power.

More a Calvinist cost / profit calculation.

The Netherlands economy has overcome the crisis of 2008. Rutte has done the right thing on meta economics, the Dutch economy is the strongest and most healty of Europe.

G.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit