Temple of Onias

by mizpah 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mizpah
    mizpah

For anyone interested in history, this is a fascinating subject. Onias (possibly son of Onias III) established a second Jewish Temple in Egypt. It lasted for 243 years. Onias used Isaiah 19:19 as the Scriptural basis for his project. If interested, look up "Temple of Onias" on Yahoo. Very interesting material!

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

This presents a problem for Bible believers....... Jeremiah 44:1 The word that came to Jeremiah for all the Jewish men living in the land of Egypt... Jeremiah 44:11-14 "Assuredly, thus says Yhwh of hosts, the god of Israel, 'I am going to set my face against you for punishment, to cut off all of Judah. And I will take away the remnant of Judah who have set their mind on entering the land of Egypt to reside there, and they will all meet their end in the land of Egypt; they shall fall by the sword, they shall be consumed by famine; great and small alike shall fall by the sword and by famine, and they shall become an execration and a desolation, a curse and a mockery. And I will punish those who live in the land of Egypt as I punished Jerusalem, with the sword, with famine, and with pestilence. So there will be no refugees or survivors for the remnant of Judah who have entered the land of Egypt to reside there and then to return to the land of Judah, to which they are longing to return and live; for none will return except survivors.'" Another example of failed supposed prophecy. As you drew to our attention a Jewish community thrived in Egypt for centuries.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Awesome info!

I plan to tuck this little nugget away for future reference in my many debates with my JW parental units.

Thanks for the heads up!

• mizpah
    mizpah

peacefulpete:

While it is true that we are not positive how the prophecy of Jeremiah 44 was accomplished, Jeremiah does indicate a "remnant" or "a few fugitives" from Egypt would survive. (Vss. 14,28) Could it be that those specific ones who fled in Jeremiah's day did die by "famine and the sword" (except for those few mentioned) whereas others, past and future exiles, established a Jewish colony and survived? History seens sketchy on these points. But it could be a possible explanation. We just don't know all the circumstances and implications of Jeremiah's prophecy or historical record of that time.

However, I do find it interesting that three temples dedicated to Jehovah did exist: l. Temple in Jerusalem 2. Samaritan Temple at Gerizim 3. Temple of Onias at Leontopolis (Egypt)

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The clear wording of the passage does not allow for such ental gymnastics. It clearly says the few stragglers would drag themselves back to Judah not thrive as a community in Egypt. In fact, according to an online commentary the very Panthrusi community established a temple to Yhwh in Elephantine that lasted for more than 100 years.

• mizpah
    mizpah

Peacefulpete:

We must not forget that we're talking about two different periods of time. Jeremiah was involved with the destruction of Jerusalem by the Babylonians. The Temple of Onias was established during the Ptolemaic period of Egypt. It does not require "gymnastics" to discern the difference.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The Elephantine temple was not. It lasted till c435BC.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit