US Copyright Laws - Dumb Question :)

by RevMalk 3 Replies latest jw friends

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

I am in the process of putting together a small local paper in my area. We are going to print this coming week, but since it's our first edition, we have a limited amount of advertisers. This leaves alot of space that needs to be filled. The AP won't give us a membership until we have a local reporter (which we don't really intend to have, although we do have local columnists), so we thought perhaps reprinting old news might be kind of cool, an "On this day in ____" kind of thing. The paper itself is more of a shopper type deal, like a pennysaver type magazine, but we want some content to give the readers a reason to read (makes sense right?). Anyway, my question is directed to anyone that might know about copyright law. I know there are alot of people out there reprinting old newspapers, but I need to make sure I do this correctly and legally, if it can be done (legally). I believe there's a time period where copyright no longer is applicable, but for the life of me I can't seem to find the laws on this. If anyone can help me (ASAP) I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks! Rev

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

why is it that when I make a post, it crams it all together in one paragraph?

• maxwell
    maxwell

Copyrights are handled by the Library of Congress. The copyright office is within this federal agency. Have you been to their Library of Congress website?

http://www.loc.gov/

There's a direct link to the copywright office website from that page. I went to the copywright office page and did a search for "how long" and it popped out a faq where the first question was about duration.
    http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-duration.html

""

How Long Does Copyright Protection Last?

How long does a copyright last?
    The term of copyright for a particular work depends on several factors, including whether it has been published, and, if so, the date of first publication. As a general rule, for works created after Jan. 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years. For an anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a work made for hire, the copyright endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first. For works first published prior to 1978, the term will vary depending on several factors. To determine the length of copyright protection for a particular work, consult chapter 3 of the Copyright Act (title 17 of the United States Code). More information on the term of copyright can be found in Circular 15a, Duration of Copyright, and Circular 1, Copyright Basics. "

I don't know whether there are exceptions for newspapers articles, but obviously some papers legally print articles from other papers earlier than 70 years after the author dies. And I don't know what the rules/laws are for that. They might be found on the website above. I hope that helps.

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

Thanks! I greatly appreciate your help, that sends me in the right direction anyway...

Rev

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit