When it rains...

by ozziepost 4 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day all,

Here in the eastern seaboard of Oz it's raining today.

"So what?" you may ask. Have you ever considered that these rainy days are days of special activity to the Witnesses?

In an endeavor to give at least one complete witness to all the inhabitants of this town, the brothers decided to preach there only on very rainy days, in the hope that they would not be bothered by the young folk. They noticed that the people of the town were unwilling to get themselves wet just to disturb the publishers.( w95 8/1 29 The Rewards of Persistence)

What did you do on rainy days? Did you engage in door to door witnessing? No? You went on return visits, did you? See what you were missing:

much to the surprise of the brothers and the crowd outside, there was a sudden downpour of rain. Yet, the sky had been clear, with no hint of an impending storm. Since the hall in which the brothers were assembled was the only place that offered any shelter, all the people that were gathered outside, including the ones beating the drums, came scrambling into the hall, which quickly became filled to capacity. Everyone stayed for the hour-long lecture and enjoyed it, too. When the brothers left for their homeward trip, they discovered that strangely the rain had fallen only in the area where the hall was located!yb89 157-8 Barbados, West Indies

Seems there was something about those rainy days !

It seems there is a definite strategy by the Borg to use rainy days

So one rainy Sunday morning, she set out on the road to church. Along came three Witnesses, who gave her a car ride—and a witness. When they got to the church, she wanted to hear more and remained with them as they drove on to pick up a Bible student. They again passed the church, yet she wanted to hear more and so went on to the Kingdom Hall.w87 10/15 26 Talk About the Glory of God's Kingship

So keep your blinds closed. They're about!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

Freedom is not having to wear a tie.

• esther
    esther

ozziepost, I think that the Borg has a strategy for every type of weather. It is a beautiful day in this part of Oz, but I bet that won't keep them away.

esther

• Copernicus
    Copernicus

G’day mate:

Your mention of rain raised a few laughs by taking me back to a conversation I overheard at a circuit assembly I attended a few years ago.

A few of us were sitting on the grass outside during the (thank god for small favors) lunch break, trying to fend off impending brain death caused by the several hours of banalities to which we’d just been exposed. Breaking our idyll was a sister near our group who was commenting loudly on the pitiful parking arrangements (several other events had been scheduled in the vicinity of the rented hall where the CA was being held – one of them being a charity marathon to benefit MS research, or some other disease). Anyhow, there had been a short downpour prior to our being cut down from the rack by the noon bell, and this woman was loudly expressing her belief that Jehovah “had brought the rain, to drive off all the marathoners and their audience, so that we could enjoy the extra parking spaces that were freed up” (her group responded with a wave of head bobbing affirmations).

I sat there in slack jawed disbelief on hearing this middle age woman voice such nonsense. I mean really, I’ve no doubt that storms and other weather based events have at times destroyed KH’s and the private homes of Witnesses (not to mention likely causing a few deaths in the process) and this person sat there attributing a coincidental break in the weather to a willful act of god! Or maybe it was just the patron saint of parking attendants who had really acted on our behalf? One can never be sure about these mysterious happenings.

Yes, millions the world over are suffering under the effects of depravation, starvation, war, etc – but WE know where god’s real interests lie - in making life more comfortable for his loyal servants.

Of course, this was just one of MANY similar episodes I could relate. You know, I think it was when I actually stopped to listen to what the people around me were saying, as opposed to simply watching their lips move, that I began to seriously consider whether or not a brain wave detector would register any activity at a JW gathering.

Thanks for the chuckles Ozzie.

• datsdethspicable
    datsdethspicable

Rain!!!!! Uh uh not with this hair........er uh let's make not at homes cause more than likely they are not at home..............I lucked out with the ones that were more worried about their "do". Got to home early.

• mommy
    mommy

Thanks Ozzie,
    I was waterlogged most of the weekend. I loved it! We have a tin roof and I think the sound of rain on a tin roof is one of the best sounds in the world. So I have been enjoying the rain, my kids on the other hand hated being stuck inside.

Copernicus,
    Wow, I remember those stories, and the head bobbing in unison. I agree I also got to the stage of just staring and not hearing any words, it is easier to understand their mentality that way I think. Welcome to the board There are so many newbies coming in every day I miss so many. I will look for your future posts, I like the way you think
    wendy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit