Preaching style

by oldcrowwoman 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

Do jw's preach by phone now?

I had jw on my ID caller. No message left. So did my daughter who lives downstairs from me.

Whoever called from the city next to us. It was'nt the friendly jws in our area?

So am I consider not at home?

Old Crow

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Telephone witnessing is a big thing. It is one of the tooted means to preach.

• mizpah
    mizpah

Even twenty years ago, infirmed JWs were encouraged to write letters or make phone calls to "witness" to their neighbors. In that way, they could "count their time." With so many homes now in private developments or without easy access, undoubtedly Jehovah's Witnesses are using this means to reach people with the Watchtower's "good news." We probably will see more of this in the future.

The one good thing about a phone message, one only has to hang up without a JW trying to "overcome objections." I would think this would be preferred to personal contact on one's doorstep.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Yep, phone witnessing has been in vogue for quite a while now. It's also a great way for pioneers to get their time started or augment it.

Example: They start with a phone call, then go out to the territory, then take a break, then make a phone call, then a couple RV's. Or any combination of that.

Or, it's a day when no one in their right mind would be out going door-to-door. So they make some phone calls.

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

Thanks for responding!

I've been out of the jw loop for 21 yrs. Now I know that they make phone calls. I'll have my ammo ready for them regarding abuse issues.

Old Crow

• Soledad
    Soledad

as far as I know telephone witnessing is not something new. about 10 years ago, me, my mother and a pioneer sister gave a demonstration for the Tuesday night meeting on how to effectively witness by phone. we used a real phone, and the "sound guy" played a tape of a ringing phone. eveyone seemed blown away by that, "how brilliant" were most of the comments made that evening. I wonder if they'll keep a do not call list.

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

Soledad

Do they have no call list for those who are DA'ed or DF ?

Old Crow

• mizpah
    mizpah

Years ago a note would be put in the territory maps not to call on certain people. Not all were disfellowshipped individuals. Some were people who called specifically asking not to be called upon. A notation would usually be included.

Some elders encouraged the publishers to ignore these notes since a person could move away or die. In this case, a lot of "ill will" was created when it was the same person who come to the door.

• blondie
    blondie

Yes,Soledad, you are correct in saying that telephone witnessing has been around for a long time in the US, and since buildings became security locked and gated communities were created, the WTS has really pushed it even have KM inserts devoted just that. It is scheduled at the congregational level just like other forms of witnessing. The Do-Not-Call laws in the US do not affect this because the WTS is considered a non-profit organization. You can request not to be called by telephone by JWs just as a request not to be called on door to door. Of course, they do screw up and call anyway.

Good on you, oldcrowwoman to want to be prepared for the next time.

Blondie

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

I received another phone call from the jw's and this time they left a message on answering machine. Of course the theme of about living in the the time of the end and inviting to the nearest kingdumb hall on Sunday.

It pissed me off leaving a message and feeling violated having them invade my space. Of all the years having a phone I have not had an encounter with religious org. I burnt sage to clean out the energy in my home.

Whats interesting is that telemarketers do not leave a message on my machine. So do Jw's have the priveledge of leaving their messages? I feel its totally wrong !! I did'nt invite them in.

How do others feel about this?

Old Crow

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit