Young People with Tarnished Reputations

by Swan 8 Replies latest social current

• Swan
    Swan

I have been emailing a friend recently about how many young people there must be out there with guilt or shame. I wrote this paragraph and got to thinking about it. I thought I would share it with the board.

It is amazing to me to think back to all of the young people in the congregation that got out. Hardly any that we knew back then are still in. Most of them left under a black cloud of immorality and tarnished reputations. They were just kids or young adults who made normal choices that all kids "in the world" make. If anything, the JWs drove them to do things that they probably wouldn't have done if they weren't, on a conscious or subconscious level, looking for a way out. I feel so sorry for them and hope they will some day come upon the same information that we have. It would be so good for them to know that what they did isn't nearly as bad as what the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society is guilty of. Maybe then they would see that they have a right to live their own lives without guilt.

It's just so sad what this religion does to people. Tammy

• talesin
    talesin

Tammy,

Good post, you're right. It's sad.

It's also uplifting that people like you post encouraging and positive messages to young folks out there who may be reading us at this very moment.

Thanks for sharing.

tal

• breal
    breal

Yes that is very sad and true. Some were even labelled in such a way when they did nothing wrong prior to being DF'd. (although speaking from experience I more than made up for it after being df'd)

• Odrade
    Odrade

Were you writing about me? Just kidding.

This is very true. I did some things just because I felt like "well, I'm bad already, what's it going to hurt if I do this too?" If I had been less guilty about things, maybe my choices would have been different, and I wouldn't have beat myself up over them like I did.

Odrade

• metatron
    metatron

The emotional and spiritual damage done by Watchtower rules may last them for

life.

And that's not all..

These young people may never get the chance again to get a good career or solid

education. Making a living and running a household crowd out future attempts at

getting a degree/certified. At the very moment when they may need help most,

they may get judged and condemned by a cold collection of Pharisees.

metatron

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I'm enjoying my "czar-nished" reputation much more than I did before I got kicked out...

Hee hee hee

This is something that all dif's have to work through - it is very hard to become validated until you realize how much crap exists in the organization, and how totally BS most of their religious requirements are.

The process involves first realizing that the ORG does not have a special relationship with God. Then, you have to realize they don't use the Bible correctly. Then you need to learn how the Bible actually works. Then you need to learn that the Bible isn't really all that is claimed. Then you need to realize that the Org is actually interfering with your spiritual growth.

CZAR

• Swan
    Swan

Czar,

The process involves first realizing that the ORG does not have a special relationship with God.

True. But even before that they have to figure out that they aren't alone and that there are places they can go to find out that information. Until then, they are out there somewhere thinking they are shit because they haven't been doing Jehovah's will. How many of them still think Armageddon is going to get them, eventually? How many will try to go back when the next "prophetic" calamity occurs?

I feel so sorry for them. I grew up with them. Most will never be as lucky as me to discover places like this online. Maybe they will happen to see a book among thousands in the library. Even if they do, will they be too afraid to touch it? Maybe they still feel they will suffer eternal damnation by the Holy Spirit if they do.

The WTBTS has invented, either through cunning, or as a natural result of mind control, a method of shunning and isolating its victims long after they have left the JWs. It is a difficult barrier to break through.

The JWs are so cavalier about it. They have it all scripted and impersonal. "From time to time we must make an announcement such as this; Mary Smith is has been disfellowshipped." And then afterwards, the gossip. "What happened?" "I can't say other than she got involved with a worldy boy at school." "She just didn't have the right attitude." "It's in the blood. Her brother was sent home from Bethel." "Well, maybe she will die of AIDS and have a chance at a ressurection."

I just think of all of those young people that I liked, laughed and had fun with, and even shared sad times with, and wonder what happened to them. Did they ever make it, or are they as sad as ever? How do you ever shake a legacy like that?

Tammy

• rocketman
    rocketman

Many young people indeed had been labeled as "bad", when in fact all they were doing was what most normal young folks do. It's basically like the jws simply wanted them to sit home and read the publications all day, or get together pretty much just sing kingdom melodies.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Very well put Swan, I enjoyed your post!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit