Interesting coversation with my Mom......

by Betsy 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Betsy
    Betsy

So today I called my Mom to chat and we were talking about my sisters (all still jw's). I mentioned that they were intolerant of other people and she agreed. Then she said she doesn't know why they're like that....

Of course I said, well they were taught that all their lives. JW's teach you to be intolerant of anyone who doesn't think, feel, believe what you do. She responded with "well they don't teach that anymore." "at the service meeting we just had a talk about not giving worldy people the perception that we think they're wrong". Okay, so I say "yeah, don't give the perception that you think that" - right? She had to think for a minute and then said, "well....no..." But then she agreed that yes, even though they think that way they shouldn't give the "impression" that they think that way. I think a light bulb went on. She changed the subject :)

Betsy

• blondie
    blondie

The "light got brighter," Betsy, eh?

Good and effective comment.

Blondie

Welcome to JWD!

• invictus
    invictus

Betsy,

hi and welcome to the forum. It is really nice that you are able to have nice relationship with your mom. I hope it will continue and with your insightfull comments, maybe one day your mom will see wt in a true light.

take care.

Invictus

• mustang
    mustang

"well they don't teach that anymore."

The damage is done, the horse is out of the barn. And everybody back to The Judge has had that hammered into their heads. I'm not sure Russell was that intolerant, but all JW's alive have been taught that until about 5 minutes ago, if they have changed at all

Oh, & welcome to the forum

Mustang

• talesin
    talesin

That's interesting ... I had an almost identical conversation with my mom a few months ago ...

tal

• Forrest
    Forrest

It sounds like your mother is pretty stupid. I dont think you should pay any attention to her insane ramblings. You do what you need to do brother!

• shamus
    shamus

Remember:

The lightbulb gets brighter, but will she really want to see what she's been in the dark for all these years? The answer is usually no. "Trust in Jehovah" she shall think... that is what they all do. The only problem is that they're god does not sanction their despicable behavior.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Betsy,

Of course what your mom said she heard at the meetings is just another theocratic strategy. JWs don't want to give worldly people the idea that JWs think worldly people are wrong because they want worldly people to study and become JWs. Do JWs think worldly people are wrong? Of course they do. Do JW's teach intolerant views and concepts? Of course they do. They teach you to watch your association even among your own brothers and sisters. Not only are you suspicious of worldly people, you have to scrutinize every action of your brothers and sisters. Basically they set you up as an intolerant judge and jury. I watched JWs mark each other for all kinds of light reasons. JWs tend to fear for their own lives and be very very leery of their fellow JWs if they falter at all. They don't want some faltering individual or family to cause them or their families spiritual harm which could result in a bad outcome at Armegeddon.

Today people are disfellowshipped just for questioning the brothers about child molestation cases. That is very intolerant.

Heather S. #2

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit