New Zealand Royal Commission into CSA

by joe134cd 8 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Just wondering if anybody from NZ can tell me when the JWs will take the stand in the NZ commission into CSA. Also, is it possible to get this streamed on the internet live, and is coverage only restricted to this country. I’m surprised this hasn’t been mentioned more on the internet. Thanks everyone.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

12 hours and still no comments ? I would be interested in this also ?

• Pants of Righteousness
    Pants of Righteousness

This website lists current and previous enquiries:

https://www.dia.govt.nz/Public-and-Government-Inquiries

Can't see any reference to a Royal Commission into CSA. Perhaps this has been delayed by the Christchurch mosque shootings Royal Commission..

The Royal Commission running on the Abuse in Care is live-streamed, but the Christchurch shooting doesn't seem to be.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I may be wrong but it does not seem as though the religion of Jehovah`s witnesses are targeted by the C.S.A..in N.Z. about Institutionalised child sexual abuse ,which seems to happen everywhere else on the planet .

They seem to have slipped under the radar ,unless we as a body make waves so they take notice of the problem that surely exists their as anywhere else.

{ I could make a highly insensitive and inappropriate remark here about my friends in NZ about this issue but I refuse to do so ,so get behind me satan.}

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

There is defiantly an enquire, as we speak, into the abuse of children in state run and faith organisations. I remember reading that the JW were going to be in this enquire.

• joe134cd
  • Corney
    Corney

To be exact, the scope of the inqury isn't restricted to child abuse or to sexual abuse - it's "directed to examine... the historical abuse of children, young persons, and vulnerable adults in State care and in the care of faith-based institutions." The term "abuse" includes "physical, sexual, and emotional or psychological abuse... neglect, and... inadequate or improper treatment or care that resulted in serious harm to the individual (whether mental or physical)." And the term "vulnerable adult" "means an adult who needs additional care and support by virtue of being in... care" or vulnerable "due to their physical, intellectual, disability, or mental health status, or due to other factors" - for example, "[v]ulnerability may also arise in relation to a person’s nationality; race; ethnicity; religious belief; age; gender; gender identity; sexual orientation."

According to its Terms of Reference,

10. The purpose of the inquiry is to identify, examine, and report on the matters in scope. For matters that require consideration of structural, systemic, or practical issues, the inquiry’s work will be informed not only by its own analysis and review but also by the feedback of victims/survivors and others who share their experiences. The matters in scope are:

10.1 The nature and extent of abuse that occurred in State care and in the care of faith-based institutions during the relevant period (as described immediately below):

(a) the inquiry will consider the experiences of children, young persons, and vulnerable adults who were in care between 1 January 1950 and 31 December 1999 inclusive;

(b) the inquiry may, at its discretion, consider issues and experiences prior to 1950. In order to inform its recommendations for the future, the inquiry may also consider issues and experiences after 1999;

<...>

10.2 The factors, including structural, systemic, or practical factors, that caused or contributed to the abuse of individuals in State care and in the care of faith-based institutions during the relevant period. The factors may include, but are not limited to:

<...>

10.3 The impact of the abuse on individuals and their families, whānau, hapū, iwi, and communities, including immediate, longer-term, and intergenerational impacts.

10.4 The circumstances that led to individuals being taken into, or placed into, care and the appropriateness of such placements. This includes any factors that contributed, or may have contributed, to the decision-making process. Such factors may include, for example, discrimination, arbitrary decisions, or otherwise unreasonable conduct.

<...>

10.5 What lessons were learned; what changes were made to legislation, policy, rules, standards, and practices to prevent and respond to abuse in care; and what gaps, if any, remain and need addressing.

10.6 The current frameworks to prevent and respond to abuse in care; and any changes to legislation, policies, rules, standards, and practices, including oversight mechanisms, that will protect children, young persons, and vulnerable adults in the future.

10.7 The redress and rehabilitation processes for individuals who claim, or have claimed, abuse while in care, including improvements to those processes.

• Corney
    Corney

As of now, only one investigation is opened - on the topic of redress. The first round of contextual (general) hearings is set for Oct 29 - Nov 8. Next Friday, November 8, Emeritus Professor Des Cahill and Dr Peter Wilkinson "will address the following issues in their presentation:

<...>

2. A summary of Volume 16, Books 1 – 3 of the Report of the Australian Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse which dealt with religious institutions, especially the Catholic Church, the Anglican Church, the Orthodox Jewish community, and the Jehovah’s Witnesses. This includes addressing how the care mechanisms failed where the needs of religious personnel were placed ahead of those of the victims;

<...>

4. Prevalence data into clerical sexual abuse, drawing on Australian, German and US data sources, as well as sexual abuse in other religious institutions, especially in the Anglican Church, the Salvation Army and amongst the Jehovah’s Witnesses;

5. A reflection on the New Zealand context and the similarities and differences with comparable nations; and

6. The possible ways forward based on a survey of recommendations made to date."

The hearing will be live streamed, video recording and transcript also will be available.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Thanks Corney

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit