Homeless Girl Receives $3000

by simplesally 2 Replies latest jw friends

• simplesally
    simplesally

......in clothing!

How senseless is that? I was watching the John Walsh show on Kids who are beating the odds. There was a homeless mom and daughter on the show, the daughter took their homelessness in stride so to speak, by realizing it is a bump in the road for them. She goes to school, gets made fun of but doesn't get too down about it.

Anyway, at the end of the segment, John W announced so happily that a store was told of their plight and they were giving them a $3000 fall wardrobe!!!!!!! Everyone clapped.

These 2 people live in a homeless shelter for Pete's sake! Why not take the initiative to give them 1st and last month rent on a studio and a nice coat and warm shoes???????? I can think how much further that $3000 retail value could have gone. Even if the wholesale price was $1500, that would have gotten them in a studio --- skip the coat!

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

That reminds me of an old TV game show from the early 60s called "Queen For A Day" where three people with sob stories would tell of their plight, and whoever got the most applause on the "applause meter" would win a bouquet of roses, a free limo ride to a fancy restaurant, and a washer and dryer or a fur coat, or some other irrelevant award, after they had explained that their son was hit by a railroad train and had both arms and legs severed and were living in a shack due to mounting hospital bills.

• nilfun
    nilfun

I didn't watch the show, but I took a look at the website.

I agree that the gift of clothing does seem a bit impractical, but she deserves every stitch. I hope she enjoyes her new clothes (being 12 years old, she'll probably grow out of them pretty quickly) ,but what I really I hope for is that her mom will be able to secure employment that actually pays a living wage. Without that, they would probably not be able to afford to keep an apartment for very long anyway.

I watched a documentary on MSNBC, "There's No Place Like Home", which hightlighted the problem of homeless families in America. It was heartbreaking. Perhaps the JW show wanted to warm hearts, not break them (ratings? who knows...) Everybody clapped. Everybody was happy, and this family was still homeless.

I read that the little girl actually took the initiative to get her family a place in the homeless shelter. What a tough little cookie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit