The Great Nest

by Introspection 0 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Introspection
    Introspection

I posted this on another board in response to a question about current spiritual practice and thought some here might be interested. This is basically an integral model of spiritual practice...

Okay, this is Ken Wilber's integral model in a nutshell. Now bear with me as this may seem a bit complicated and not inspirational in the feel good sense but I think it will make sense at the end, it may help to draw this model out. The diagram basically looks like a target with concentric circles (indicating multiple levels) and a cross in the middle. (dividing it into the four quadrants) The quandrants on the left hand side indicated the internal domains, the right the external. The ones on top indicate the individual domains, and the bottom two indicate the collective. Thus Wilber indicates the upper left quadrant to be the "I", intentional, subjective domain, the upper right is "it", the behavioral, objective. The lower left is "we", cultural, intersubjective and the lower right is "its", social or interobjective.

The levels of the concentric circles are basically 4, that is body, mind, soul and spirit, with either spirit or body in the middle, depending on whether you use the word deeper or higher as your metaphor, respectively.

Wilber notes that the traditional Great Chain of Being points out there are multiple levels, the strength of premodernity, whereas modernity's strength lies in the differentiation of the four quadrants. (difference between "I" and "we", for example)

The following is taken from his book Integral Psychology, and while many of the examples will no doubt be unfamiliar or even strange, it does provide an idea of how this model applies in an actual integral practice. Keep in mind the context is psychology/therapy, so things like medication may not apply. Also, don't get caught up with things which may seem strange to you, these are only examples of what might fall under such a model, you can choose from a wide range of things that applies to that area. The italicized words indicate the levels here in order of lower to higher, atleast in the first two quadrants listed.. By the way, the listing of Witnessing is NOT what we might think, it no doubt points to something like watching your thoughts in meditation, that part of your mind which watches is the witness..

Upper-Right quadrant (individual, objective, behavioral)--
    Physical
    DIET-- Atkins, Eades, Ornish; vitamins, hormones
    STRUCTURAL--weightlifting, aerobics, hiking, Rolfing, etc.
    Neurological
    PHARMACOLOGICAL--various medications/drugs, where appropriate
    BRAIN/MIND MACHINES--to help induce theta and delta states of consciousness

Upper-Left quadrant (individual, subjective, intentional)--
    Emotional
    BREATH--ta'i chi, yoga, bioenergetics, circulation of prana or feeling-energy, qi gong
    SEX--tantric sexual communion, self-transcending whole-bodied sexuality
    Mental
    THERAPY--psychotherapy, cognitive therapy, shadow work
    VISION--adopting a conscious philosophy of life, visualization, affirmation
    Spiritual
    PSYCHIC (shaman/yogi)--shamanic, nature mysticism, beginning tantric
    SUBTLE (saint)--deity mysticism, yidam, contemplative prayer, advanced tantric
    CAUSAL (sage)--vipassana, self-inquiry, bare attention, centering prayer, Witnessing, formless mysticism
    NONDUAL (siddha)--Dzogchen, Mahamudra, Shaivism, Zen, Eckhart, nondual mysticism, etc.

Lower-Right quadrant (SOCIAL, INTEROBJECTIVE)--
    Systems--excercising rsponsibilities to Gaia, nature, biosphere, and geopolitical infrastructures at all levels
    Institutional--excercising educational, political, and civic duties to family, town, state, nation, world

Lower-Left quadrant (cultural, intersubjective)--
    Relationships--with family, friends, sentient beings in general; making relationships part of one's growth, decentering the self
    Community Service--vounteer work, homeless shelters, hospice, etc.
    Morals--engaging the intersubjective world of the Good, practicing compassion in relation to all sentient beings

The general idea of integral practice is clear enough: Excercise body, mind, soul and spirit in self, culture and nature. (That is, try to excercise the full spectrum in the I, we, and it domains.) Pick a basic practice from each category, or from as many categories as pragmatically possible, and practice them concurrently. The more categories engaged, the more effective they all become (because they are all intimately related as aspects of your own being). Practice them diligently, and coordinate your integral efforts to unfold the various potentials of the bodymind...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit