Joan of Arcadia

by metatron 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• metatron
    metatron

I really like this new CBS show - perhaps because it presents God talking to an ordinary ( and bewildered) teenage

girl. The actors are top notch and the plots - involving a Zen- like God - interesting. I guess I've always wondered

why an Almighty Creator used a book, repeatedly recopied by persons unknown, written by people we've never met,

and translated out of dead languages - when he could simply tell us personally what he wants.

It is this kind of heartfelt entertainment that the Theocratic Hierarchy knows nothing about. I find the show

more emotionally stirring than 3 dozen Service Meetings. This is just another piece of evidence to add to the

growing mountain that the sands are shifting under the Society's feet. The world is changing - often for the better

and they could all wake up one day soon to find the organization they thought was so impervious

has become irrelevant , without their notice.

metatron

• simplesally
    simplesally

I have wanted to see this show. I always go in for the sappy shows about God. I loved the show Touched by an Angel and the one with Michael Landon, Highway to Heaven. Those shows always make you feel good.

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

Same here. They are great entertainment. They should be piped into the buildings at Bethel.

But you know the organization will never see them, let alone show them to the slaves.... er, I mean brothers! LOL!

• blondie
    blondie

I had preconceived ideas about this show but I was wrong. It does show that God does not need to work miracles and that people have much to do with the process of making their life better.

Blondie

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

I am touched by the show.It's about living life. Teacher's present themselves for a reason. The student is their to teach too. It's a matter of awareness in being receptive to whats around me. To receive the lesson.

Sitting in a kingdom hall did'nt cut it!! Being deprived spiritually. I don't remember walking out feeling good about myself.

Old Crow

• rocketman
    rocketman

I haven't yet watched it, but I've heard some good things about it. I initaiily figured that, since she was nopt part of God's spirit-directed organization, He'd have nothing to do with her.

I may have to check it out soon.

• blondie
    blondie

Friday, 7 (CST) or 8 (EST) on CBS.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/fall_preview_2003/shows/joan_of_arcadia.shtml

Joan Tamblyn is the daughter of Russ Tamblyn (for those old enough to remember who he is).

http://www.sonypictures.com/tv/shows/joanofarcadia/tvindex.html

• willyloman
    willyloman
    I find the show more emotionally stirring than 3 dozen Service Meetings... the sands are shifting under the Society's feet... and they could all wake up one day soon to find the organization they thought was so impervious has become irrelevant...

I have not seen this particular show, but I often have the same feeling when watching, say, Oprah or Dr. Phil... there are all these people out there trying to get to the root of people's problems and assist them on their journey thru life and give hope -- consoling, if you will, the teeming masses of humanity who are starved for leadership and guidance. There is more truth in some of these one hour shows than in a year's worth of watchtower studies at the KH. The meetings ARE irrelevant and there is growing recognition of the fact.

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

I saw the show too, and really enjoyed it. The premise is interesting and the vehicle by which they have god "speak" is really compelling. I am anxious to see more.

On another note:

I guess I've always wondered why an Almighty Creator used a book, repeatedly recopied by persons unknown, written by people we've never met, and translated out of dead languages - when he could simply tell us personally what he wants.

He didn't. My very biggest concern/complaint about fundamentalist christian religions is that they have assigned ultimate authority to a collection of stories (and not even particularly well-written stories) and have declared their content as irrefutable truth. It's a book about faith, not history or science. To cling to it as something inherently sacred and believe it's more colorful parables in the face of huge amounts of proof to the contrary is tantamount to my reading the complete works of Dr. Seuss, using it as the blueprint for my life, and then totally ignoring the lessons inherent in the stories in favor of declaring that persons who eat in a house with a mouse, or in a box with a fox are damned eternally.

It never ceases to amaze me how fundamentalists, by their emphasis on the literal application of the bible, fail to see how such an attitude limits the very God they claim as ever-present, all-knowing, and all-powerful.

But I digress. It's a good show and the attitude about God and what he wants for each of us is very similar to my own. I'm anxious to see how it all comes out. I will even take a minute to say that that sappy, overwrought faith-vehicle "Touched by an Angel" (which I have to admit that I watched many times and always got a little weepy) did the same thing--just in a less 'hip' way.

• metatron
    metatron

I enjoy the way God appears in different forms, as he talks to her.

I've amused myself wondering if various institutional inhabitants take heart from watching this show:

( "Yeah, exactly! God talks to me just like that!")

Year after year, I would drag my family members to meetings thinking "it could all be so different".

The old Theocrats never learn, they just try to micro-manage - while the world leaves them behind.

metatron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit