Interesting ex-christian quotes

by claudia 3 Replies latest jw friends

• claudia
    claudia

"It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being."

- Dan Barker, Losing Faith in Faith

"Let me make one thing perfectly clear: I do not reject Christianity because of my desire to go around sinning without any guilt; I reject Christianity because I have closely examined its claims and I have found them to be unsubstantiated."

Roger Martin.

"I was constantly trying to smash the square pegs of what I was learning from science, sociology, psychology, history and comparative religion into the round hole of my conservative Christian paradigm. [........] . I reached the point where I was bordering on biochemical treatment for depression because my mind was always wrestling with philosophical problems and not getting acceptable solutions. Julian Huxley had a similar experience, which he described as developing a "thought tumor."

Dan Lewandowski

"The most annoying thing is that all the people who used to be my fellow Xians and used to believe that I was as good as the rest of them explained my losing-of-my-faith away by claiming that I "probably never had any faith anyway" or "It's just a rough period, you'll return to Jesus". I know that for that period of my life I had absolute faith and devotion and then to be told that you probably didn't is insulting."

Ben Creagh Brown

• patio34
    patio34

Claudia,

Thanks for those thoughts. I especially identify with the trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

The one about counterfeit love was good. JWs take it even further by not helping many unless they can count their time. So hypocritical, but I was one of them, without realizing what I was doing.

And I experienced something similar to the last one. When I explained my reasons for stopping meetings having to do with biology and history, I later heard that I had been weak and that's why the doubts took over. Also, my son said I spent too much time with my 'unbelieving' children and that influenced me. Unbelievable. It's a waste of breath to talk to such people. I think I'll shun THEM!

Pat

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Claudia,

Another point, i ran across in Steven Covey's book on 7 habits. He mentions some try to project their home movies onto others. That's the party line with JWs.

Pat

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Claudia:

"It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being."

Excellent quote, very true …but ignored most of the time , by the WTS.

Agape, J.C. MacHislopp

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit