update on court

by pamkw 9 Replies latest jw friends

• pamkw
    pamkw

The court thing was very interesting. The judge remembered my son from before. The first time he was in court the judge found him not guilty. Last spring the judge told the county attorney to reconsider the charges.

This time as we walked up the judge said, "counsellor are you robbing the nursery?"

She stated that he had been here twice before and the charges had been dismissed. The judge then said, "they will be this time also, or something to that effect. She stated since he was 12 (will not be 12 until December) that he needed to do community service or something. I'm shaking my head no, while I am standing there. no way.

I asked the court appointed lawyer where a 11 year old can do community service? Where could I send him to do that service and know he was save? He replied "I'm not disagreeing with you." So since I would not settle, we are going to court again on Nov. 6th. Unless the country attorney takes the judge seriously and drops the charges.

I am getting some information ready for the lawyer about behavior and ADHD and bipolar disorder, so that it can be put in his file, and maybe this will stop happening.

The last time this went to court, the judge was very insulting to the county attorney's office and the school district.

I am also going to appear before the school board, to present to them alternatives to having kids with mental illnesses arrested. I don't know if it will do any good. But my son has 6 more years of school and this has got to stop.

Thanks for all the support.
    Pam

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

The wonderful mom that you are, a thread like this, warms my heart.

Trust me, I know how stressful and chaotic this whole ordeal has been, but seeing you actively involved in your son's well being, especially his mental health, makes me proud of you.

Providing the court, the crown/defense with information regarding your son's condition, may help them to be more empathetic towards OTHERS out there who are greatly misunderstood because of their mental health situation.

Way to go Pam.

I support you in your endeavours to help your son. You may never know who else you may be helping as a result.

((((Pamkw)))) - caring Mom

• orbison11
    orbison11

just curious pam, what has your son done 3 times to land him in court before he was 12 years of age?

orbi

• pamkw
    pamkw

Two years ago in the spring, he was in a special classroom at the mental health center, and he got upset about something, and threw a chair and dented a plastic bookcase. Four people decided to try to hold him down, and he head butted a couple of them trying to get away. Holding him down made it worse, so they called the police. At the time I was told it was no big deal, they just wanted to scare him. I don't know where these so called 'professionals' learned their stuff, but they were not much help to him.

Last spring he was on his way to the time out room, in a rage, and pulled a typewriter off the table and let it smash on the floor. He had done worse in the time out room, but this time, they had him arrested.

This last time, they took him out of his math class because he had been 'bad' the day before, and then physically tryed to pull him into the isolation room. He elbowed someone trying to get away. Then he went in the room and threw a manic fit, screaming and yelling and using profanity. Then I guess he calmed down, and three hours later he mouthed off or something, no one will say for sure. And he does not remember exactly what happened (many bipolar people dont' remember what they do when manic), and they decided to call the cops. I guess when the cop told him to stand with his hands against the wall, Blake tried to run. Remember he is in a little isolation room. The cop put the handcuffs on him,and Blake had another manic meltdown, screaming and swearing,being disrepectful to the police, etc. ( I didn't know about this part until today).

I send him to the emtionally distrubed class so they can help him learn to control himself and to recognize when he is losing it. But they have not been any help to him. IN fact I have since discovered that he should not be in that room, as the behavior plans in place there really make someone with his problem worse. So I am changing his placement, or attempting to.

Really the school thinks the only answer to any problem is call the police. They seem to think it will teach him something, but he does not choose these behaviors, they just are part of his problem.

HE is not bad, he is mentally ill. Now I just have to prove it to them.

Thanks for asking.

Pam

• Aztec
    Aztec

(((Pam))) I can so relate to what you are going through. When my son was 3 he was kicked out of daycare. By age 3 he had outgrown naps but it was a part of the daily routine of the daycare. Instead of giving him something quiet to do in another room (He loved books and puzzles) they tried to force him to comform. One day he got sick of it and decided he was going to get up and do something. After repeatedly making him lay back down and finally holding him down he got mad and bit the worker. I of course didn't condone his actions but, he was only 3! I found him a better daycare that worked with him and even though it cost me a bit more it was well worth it.

Good luck to you Pam!

~Aztec

• morty
    morty

((((((Pam)))))

I cannot believe that no one in the school system can see that you have a very sick boy....Shame on them!!!!! You are doing the correct thing to fight these "apparent" charges.This is outrageous! I dont know what the states have for assitance for problem children but there has to be someone or some place to help you..( I know we have the help in Canada)..What is your doctor suggesting?Is your son medicated?.Have the doctors proven to you..ie.. ct scan..mri..brain scan...that he has this combination illness?...The reason I ask this is, my youngest son is adhd....when and if they are medicated..( I did alot of reserch) if there medication is combined with other medications or poor settings,it can tricker off worse behaviour.I am very educated on the adhd stuff,so if you have any questions,please pm me.....hoping you have the best results.......there has to be a better way....please keep me updated,

mortons68

• Gadget
    Gadget
    Have the doctors proven to you..ie.. ct scan..mri..brain scan...that he has this combination illness?

I take it your son has been fully diagnosed with his condition? Could you not start a lawsuit against the school for discriminating against your son because of a medical condition he has? Or one against the school for failing to give your child an education suitable to his medical needs? It would be a hard case, but it would make the school look at itself hard and make sure it was doing everything it could.

• pamkw
    pamkw

Yes, he has been fully diganosed with ADHD and bipolar. The school knows there is a problem, and they are kissing butt big time. I am not backing down and I have the law on my side. I wish I had the money to get a lawyer. I do have places I can call if I don't get what I need. I am just getting sick of the whole thing. Because it really comes down to the classroom teacher. Will that person follow the IEP's and all the modifications. This year the teacher has not. And he is no longer in her class. I can get them into alot of trouble for not complying with federal laws and actually doing what his IEP says. My main gripe now is the district is taking it's dear sweet time to get anything done. But at least he is getting some schooling as a teacher comes Monday -Friday for two hours a day and does work with him. they think they can wear me down, and I will do what they want. Fat Chance. Pam

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

(((PAM))) I was wondering ... If I did well understand The Judge seems to be good ... Hope everything will be in order for you to get the support and everything you need for your son (in regard of his bi-polar disorder) for you to be able to hold a job. I still don't understand how professionals can messed up this way !!! Keep us informed.

Kisses
    and Best wishes

Corinne

• shera
    shera

((((((Pam and Son))))))

I really feel for you and your son,your son needs help not judgement.

I have a disabled son with autism,when he was in kindergarden they used to send him home all the time,until I had the autism society and his doctors speak to the school.

Hope your son gets what he needs for he can live and have a good life.Give him a hug from me.

Heather

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit