One Reason Why I Could Never Again be an Elder

by Nicholaus Kopernicus 13 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

Interesting perspective. Most of the BoE in my congregation are "born ins" as you put it. There are 4 or 5 ex-elders who like me, were proselytised. Of the ex-elders, one was deleted due to DF, and one deleted for sponsoring his children for a higher education, but the others resigned. Two of the resignations were due to abherrant BoE behaviours.

I have refused several shepherding visits which they said would be focussed on "reaching out". I explained that the visit would be a waste of time as my reaching out is now dead and without hope of a resurrection. They were so shocked that I said this but they have not approached me since.

I would contend that being an elder is (in the medium to long term) inimical to the maintenance of good physical and mental health. A quite risky occupation in many respects.

• hoser
    hoser
    I'm General manager of a corporation and we carry errors and omission insurance for the board of directors. It's fairly cheap only a hundred bucks a year per board member.
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Interesting thread , so I am adding to it 9 days later. Nicholaus Kopernicus is right in what he says , the elders have no effective training in dealing with such issues. We saw the example of the hapless elders horribly exposed by the Aus. Commission as being totally lacking. That examination made the point that the system was set up for The Society rather than the victim.

I remember reading letters in the file when I was Secretary , saying that the authorities must never be allowed access to the cong files. I knew then that I would never impede a criminal investigation to protect the WTS.

I have recently said that I could never serve now.. simply because I could not enthuse about the glitzy,shallow JWBorg ,ipad toting ,Caleb & Sophia stuff they do nowadays.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"...the elders have no effective training in dealing with such issues..."

Pshh.

These days, most elders have no effective training in tying their f**king shoes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit