The Denial of Death.

by Blueblades 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Winner of the Pulitzer prize in 1974 and the culmination of a life's work,The Denial of Death is Ernest Becker's brilliant and impassioned answer to the "why"of human existence.In bold contrast to the predominant Freudian school of thought,Becker tackles the problem of the vital lie----man's refusal to acknowledge his own mortality.In doing so,he sheds new light on the nature of humanity and issues a call to life and its living that still resonates more than twenty years after its writing.....to read it is to know the delight inherent in the unfolding of a mind grasping at new possibilities and forming a new synthesis.

A while ago there was a post topic on the subject of "Death Anxiety"and this book was mentioned in that post,so,I went to Barnes and Nobles and found the only copy left.I am half way through it and find it distubing because if the views are correct,then all we have to look forward to is oblivion.That would certaintly be a cause for death anxiety as mentioned by another poster and the responses given.

However,there is some mention of a leap of faith in the existence of a "CREATOR" which leaves the door open that life does go on after death.Has any one else read this book,if so what are your thoughts about the subject matter,"The Denial of Death".

Blueblades

• franklin J
    franklin J

I have not read the book but thank you for the suggestion, it sounds like good reading.

My father ( who had been an elder at one time, but fell away, like me) passed on in March, and having no answers, I am only left with his absence. I know what I was taught about death as a JW, and I know that I no longer believe it.

I think of my father often, and oblivion is too harsh a concept to accept. Whenever I think of him he is smiling. Which is good. If nothing else, brings comfort to me.

I admit that I have no answers....I am not sure that I am looking to replace the beliefs.

the book sounds like interesting reading.

regards,

Frank

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

It's a matter of opinion isn't it BB? Some have faith in such a believe and others don't. Speaking for myself, I believe in a Creator since childhood and this belief did not stem from being a JW. My approach is like that All-State commercial, 'your in good hands' but with me, its with my Creator. I believe in choices, when anyone differs in opinion, so be it, I'm not going to make an issue out it.

Guest 77

• woodland
    woodland

I haven?t read the book, but my father died when I was 13 yrs. As a result I asked myself many questions about death at a very early age. Although a witness at that time, I did not gain any comfort from the witnesses? teachings, as it was all based on supposition. After many years of confusion and contemplation I did come to some concrete conclusions. When people die they do undeniable remain in three ways. Firstly, if they have children, genetically a part of them still exists (I look like my father, and I older I get, the more I notice it). Secondly, whether they be buried or cremated, something can?t become nothing, for this reason in a sense, they exist in a different form. And thirdly, a memory is a part of life, so they live on in our thoughts. I know these concepts don?t give any hope of seeing my father again physically, but to my way of thinking, he?s still with me, but in a different guise.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I was the one who mentioned the book on the other thread. I have since signed it out from the library, and I've barely been able to put it down, it is an utterly fascinating read. I am on page 100 of 285.

The book is an attempt to synthesize various views on the human condition. The author's view is that man's knowledge of his mortality, his desire to be a god but having a worm's body, is an impossible paradox and is at the root of much, if not all, psychological misery. That is the filter through which he examines the ideas of Kierkegaard, Freud, and his favorite Otto Rank (I haven't got to his discussion of Rank yet).

Of course I love the book because the author takes the view that so-called "well-adjusted" people are simply people who have succeeded in erecting solid walls of "vital lies" (success, wealth, achievement) that prevent them from seeing the "worm at the core" of existence - death. And that neurotic (me), psychotic, and schizophrenic people are people who fail, in varying degrees, to erect those walls.

The chapter on Kierkegaard was brilliant, a gold mine of insight.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Hi Dan! First I want to thank you for the book.I'm on page 235,topic,a general view of mental illness.I have a brother who suffers from Schizophrenia,now I know why.I hope to finish this book this weekend.

One thing though,is that Becker admits that many of the schools of thought end up with a sought of God Creator hope,while not being able to prove it,because the mind cannot accept oblivion as the end of it all.This is the self -preservation desire innate in all of mankind.

Blueblades

• acsot
    acsot

bttt

I saw this book mentioned on this thread when you first posted about it; I jotted down the name so that I could get it from the library or the book store. Yesterday I was at a huge book fair at the local university when WHAT DID I SEE? You guessed it. Now it's sitting on my bedside table and I am looking forward to reading it.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit