Still Contaminated After All These Years

by new boy 9 Replies latest jw friends

• new boy
    new boy

The contaminantion of years of being a Jehovah Witness.

It's interesting to see in myself and in many others here how no matter how much we want it or wish it, we will never be able to erase all of the mental contamination. In one way or another it will always be a part of us.

I've had many friends that have been out for many years say "Well I can't do that it just wouldn't be right." Yes they are still judging themselves and others. They are under some kind of law code. Of course there are laws we must obey but there are many laws that are handed down to us by are parents or religions that are really just a matter of opinion and not laws at all.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

It's a struggle to break your mind free from WT shackles but worth the effort. It definitely a process though and not just a matter of not being at meetings anymore.

I have found learning new things is a good way to keep your mind open and from reverting to WT mush, but it is a constant struggle.

• Thisismein1972
    Thisismein1972

So am i, although it has only been two years for me. I'd like you to think of something here. Remember JWs saying you can leave Jehovah, (the organisation) however Jehovah never leaves you! When I was fully indoctrinated, I thought this to be Jehovah always trying to draw you back. Now I'm out, I see this as being more sinister.

The Watchtower are extremely good indoctrination, they know exactly what to use psychologicaly - ""If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" Joseph Goebbels - The Watchtower are big on repetition for emphasis, see the correlation here?

In short, the Watchtower instilled in us some very powerful teachings, we were programmed to think differently from the world, we were told that the only shelter from the wicked world was being at meetings regularly, and of course, field service, we were told that if we did not do this, then Jehovah would be very angry with us. We could also be classed as blood guilty if we did not go in service. Imagine how powerful these words are.

There are so many things wrong with the teachings of the Watchtower. Instead of it being a spiritual paradise, it is more akin to spiritual abuse. We were abused mentally, That does not go away overnight.

I should mention I am now seeing a CBT therapist, I, like yourself have reached the limit. But do not ever give up. There was a video recently on how the Watchtower programs us, even when we have left. They install a self destruct button in us all. This can work in severel ways. It can manifest in us crawling back with our tales between our legs, which is their ultimate goal. As with any abusive relationship, the abuser will always use this against us. Or (sadly) as with many who have left and got lost in this perceived scary world we could end it all. Another win for the Watchtower. Or we can find our map and plot a way out, this may include many hours of therapy, but isn't this worth it.

The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.”– Mahatma Gandhi

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I've made this comment on here before, but after being out for seven or eight years I found myself in Spain with some coworkers having a business dinner. My boss wanted to order blood sausage and I felt my heart sink. It was as if I was a JW all over again trying to elegantly weasel my way out of an awkward situation while attempting to minimize the social impact of being, frankly, weird.

Blood is one of the taboos I've yet to break. I just have no desire to eat food made with blood. It doesn't sound appetizing to me and I tend to faint when I have my blood taken, so I've not donated blood either.

But it was a very eerie programmed reaction, even after all those years. I've read scientific articles describing how neural connections are formed in the brain that cause you to react instinctively to certain scenarios, a learned response. There was no reason for me to have the reaction I did other than the fact that I created those connections in my brain all those years ago and simply hadn't exerted the effort to re-train myself how to respond in those situations. On a conscious level, I no longer believe there's anything improper about eating blood.

Even today, I occasionally feel pangs of guilt after a night of heavy drinking. I'm not sure we're ever able to completely shake it off.

• btlc
    btlc

I think it is matter of habit, not willingness. If you spend 30, 40 or more years as JW (the best and the most part of your life), it is embedded in you, it is a part of you, it is who you are, and, the most important, it is not necessery something wrong (could be, but not necessery). I dumped the rubbish, but I try to keep the good things - I don't want to repeat the same mistake as when someone becomes a JW and destroy everything before that. I'm inactive for 15y, I had a bad period (a few years), but it passed and now I'm free. No bad feelings anymore, clean accounts with everyone. That doesn't mean that I'm breaking all the rules, I still respect most of things, because I want to, not because i'm forced. I'm even free to make fun of that and say "my religion doesn't allow that" if i find that i'm not comfortable with something. Maybe I'm irretrievably contaminated, could be.

• dogon
    dogon

It took me years of self analyzation but I can go days or weeks and not even thing about these asshats. If you stay around cult members to any degree your just keeping an open wound. Its like an alcoholic working at a bar.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

The contaminantion of years of being a Jehovah Witness.

It's interesting to see in myself and in many others here how no matter how much we want it or wish it, we will never be able to erase all of the mental contamination. In one way or another it will always be a part of us.

I've had many friends that have been out for many years say "Well I can't do that it just wouldn't be right." Yes they are still judging themselves and others. They are under some kind of law code. Of course there are laws we must obey but there are many laws that are handed down to us by are parents or religions that are really just a matter of opinion and not laws at all.

"Contamination" seems like such strong word and makes me (I'm keeping this in I statements) feel like a victim. I prefer to see it in terms of "negative influence", which I believe is a better way of describing my experience with having that JW crap shoved down my throat since the day I was born.

Regardless of which term we feel comfortable using, I do agree that the influence of the WT is always going to be present in our lives. I for once, can't talk about my childhood without mentioning the JWs. I can't speak about my family without mentioning them, and those are only the tangible, identifiable things.

When I look at how many decisions I had made in the past after having left the WT without realizing that I was still under their influence, I started really analyzing everything I was doing, being and deciding. I realized that to me, my recovery from their negative influence is about minimizing it, not about eradicating it since I believe that's not impossible. That helped me gain perspective and see things in a more self-loving and realistic manner (I used to take it on me for not being able to get rid of their influence). It was a process, and not an easy (nor fast) one.

Regarding other people and the way they do things JW-ly, you remind me of one of my friends. He's as gay as I am, he never baptized, and in his 30s he had been away from the JWs for almost two decades. We were roommates, and as gay friends we used to talk what gay dudes talk about (and trust me, it wasn't bible related). He threw a Christmas party once, and we did a whole lot of "wordly" things as friends.

However, to my surprise, I decided to give him a gift for his birthday, and he told me that he couldn't accept it. When I asked him why, he gave me some JW nonsense about it. At first I truly believed that he was joking, but he wasn't. I did feel offended and threw at his face all the non-JW things that he has done. Then as I started knowing him better and learning about his own life I realized what the real issue was. Turns out that his mother was a JW when he was a little kid. He didn't grow up with his father, only his JW mother. Then he (nor his mother) didn't leave the WT when he was 10; his mother passed away when he was 10 and his new family weren't JWs, and he never set foot in a KH ever since.

So his refusal to accept the birthday gift had nothing to do with the WT nonsense, and everything to do with his respect and sense of loyalty to his deceased mother. That's the first lesson I learned about being sensitive when some people hold on to their believes, as irrational as they may be.

Time and time again I have posted about how may people completely neglect to see that behind the believes, doctrine discussions and practices there are a lot of feelings that we don't know about. For some reason many people here refuse to even acknowledge that fact.

My suggestion to you is let them be, be sensitive because:

1. There are feelings connected to what they say and do and you have no idea what they are.
    2. There may still be in the process of separation themselves.
    3. There may be in denial about what they are doing.
    4. They may still be dealing with their doubts; it's not in black and white, it is a process.
    5. You may not know what a given practice or believe represents to them.
  • skittles
    skittles

I don't think that everything about being a witness was bad. There is a lot of good that could be associated with being a witness. The baby doesn't need to be thrown out with the bath water.

So if there is something that gives you pause, maybe just consider if it is something that you as a person, not you as a witness, still rejects

• new boy
    new boy

All very good comments. After 52 years "in" and 16 years "out" I'm constantly reminding myself and my children that we are still effected by the influence or "contamination" of that thought system and to always analyze all the things we do, say and believe in.

Asking that very important question, the question we really couldn't ask as a witnesses.

The all important question of "Why?"

Why did I just say that? Why did I just do that? And do I really "believe" that.

Is this action "me" or some ancient programing, that I use in default mode.

If it is you, wonderful. If it isn't you than why use it anymore?

• Cold Steel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit