Fluke Hole In Ones.

by Guest 77 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

I know you guys are not into golf, however I need to tell this story. I just returned from an invitational golf tournament (team event) held at the Rockland Golf Club, Rockland Mass.

Question, what does it take to get a hole in one? Well, one golfer hit a line drive (fluke) from 185 yards out, hit the pin dead on and dropped in the hole.

Another golfer hit a tree left of the green, (this tree had to be 40 feet left of the green) it ricocheted onto the green and then proceed to roll over fifty feet into the hole! I call these perfect fluke shots. The yardage of this hole was 165 yards. This group played directly behind us. I actually went to check if the ball went in the hole, it sure was. By the way, he paid the bar bill. Lucky for him he got two hundred dollars for being closest to the pin. The event consisted of 36 teams of four players. Our team took away first prize.

No, you don't need a perfect golf shot to get a hole in one.

Guest 77

• Simon
    Simon

There is a certain amount of fortune to getting a hole in one (has to be) but the chances of it must increase as you get better.

As Gary Player (?) I think once said to a journalist who remarked how lucky he'd been to win so many tournaments:

"Yes, and you know what? ... the more I practised, the luckier I got!"

Being able to consistently get the ball near the pin must help a lot.

• ballistic
    ballistic
    Yes, and you know what? ... the more I practised, the luckier I got!"

I have a reputation as being the flukiest pool player in the world. I like to stun the white and hit the balls really hard. And everyone hates a fluker. But you have to ask, how can someone be consistently flukey? I would argue that there is an element of skill and that one is doing something right.

• berylblue
    berylblue

Funny you should mention this.

Last night, I was playing miniature golf (at which I s*ck big time, as I do most physical activities except sex..., oh, and dancing). I had some stupid trap to get over so I whacked the ball . It flew off the green (is that what you call it), bounced up these little wooden steps next to that tee, richocheted off some waterfall thingy, landed back on the green or whatever you call it and went straight in.

Tim and I were stunned. Wish we'd had a video of that.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Ballistic, yes, you need an element of skill. In my forty years of competitive golf I've had one hole in one and it wasn't a fluke. I've had five eagles from the fairway one year, that is, my second shots went into the cup on par fours.

BB, I would be wealthy today if I had a video of all the fluke or strangest shots I've witnessed. I've sunk many a putts that I thought wouldn't go in and then the putts I thought would go in, didn't! It's a great game if you can keep your composure, this game WILL HUMBLE YOU. Every swing is different and you just never know what you will witness next. I've met many kind and understanding people during those years and enjoyed playing beautiful golf courses.

Guest 77

• smack
    smack

A bad days golf is better than a good days work

Steve

• JH
    JH

Dan,

Did you ever get a hole in 1? To hit a tree and bounce into the hole is something that can happen only once inm a life time I guess. There is luck everywhere, not only in lottery.

By the way, I enjoy your book "ABC's of golf"

John

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

HI JH. Hope your in good health. Yes, I've only gotten one. I know some golfers that have 10, 15, 20 hole in ones. I believe Art Wall a professional has over 30! I've seen a number of hole in ones, and truthfully, I get more excited when I see others get a hole in one. When I had mine I didn't get excited. The eagles from the faiway was more exciting. To each his/her own.

I enjoy comeptitive golf, that's where all the action is and it gets to reveal how much pressure you can handle under stressful situations. As I've said, I've met many, many people in competitive golf. As to fun, the only 'fun' part for competitive golfers is when they have a pro-am. There's no pressure and no need to have a good score. Once the pro-am is over, it's all business!

Glad you enjoyed the book.

Guest 77

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Smack, I know you would change your mind if you got to see what I've seen when golfers have a bad round of golf. Breaking clubs, people who hardly swear would swear, throwing clubs in the lake, up the trees, run over their clubs and the list just goes on. It's been said that a poor game of golf is ruining a good days walk.

When your behind the scenes, you get to witness some unexpected behaviour from well known professionals. Don't be fooled by their nice demeanor when interviewed onTV, it would shock you.

Guest 77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit