"The Calendar of Jehovah God" - a historical tidbit

by OrphanCrow 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    dropoffyourkeylee: Wood worth was very studious, probably too much. He produced, single handedly, the first index of all the WT literature , in about 1909. It was called Gems from the Mine.

Woodworth, along with George Fisher (who co-authored The Finished Mystery), was a text book writer for the International Correspondence School.

One source, which I have been unable to confirm, claims that Woodworth was also an owner of ICS in Stanton, Pennsyvania. He would travel between Brooklyn and Stanton regulary, spending half his time writing for the WT and half his time writing for the International Correspondence School.

Thanks for the 'tidbit' about Gems From the Mine. I had not heard of that publication.

• Simon
    Simon

Which idiot would have Lightday and Lifeday as names ... no possibility of any confusion there !

"I'll meet you next liteday"

"Ok, lifeday, got it ..."

The current days of the week are all clearly distinct sounds which helps to avoid confusion.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    I knew that Woodworth was an instructor for ICS (International Correspondence School), but I never heard that he was an owner. I also never heard what subject he taught. His compilation of 'Gems from the Mine' was a monumental task. Apparently he went through every WT publication up to that time (1879 - 1909), and made both the subject and the scripture index. Admittedly, there were less books at that time, but still it meant 30 years of Zion's Watchtower and the six volumes of the Studies in the Scriptures. I used to have a reprinted copy of the Gems from the Mine, as it was being reprinted until recent times by one of the Bible Student groups.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Dropoffyourkey: I knew that Woodworth was an instructor for ICS (International Correspondence School), but I never heard that he was an owner.

I may have been wrong to use the word "owner" and should have said "one of the founders". However, I would think that a "founder" would also have ownership.

Where I found this information was at the end of the letter Woodworth had written while in jail in 1918.

Letter from archive.org.

Since this letter was typed by Brother Clayton J. Woodworth in 1918 it was quite old and fragile and since the photo copy that was sent to me was hardly legible, with much effort this copy was made. Bro. Woodworth became the editor of The Golden Age when it was started in 1919. He was one of the founders of the International Correspondence Schools from Scranton, Pennsylvania. Each week end he would go home by train to Scranton to see his family and take an interest in the ICS. He was faithful to Jehovah right to the end. The one who copied this letter knew him personally.

Regardless, it isn't difficult to see that the WT had used the same format for WT study as an ICS home study course did.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Simon: Which idiot would have Lightday and Lifeday as names ... no possibility of any confusion there !
    "I'll meet you next liteday"
    "Ok, lifeday, got it ..."

Lol!

Well...today is "Mansday", in the month of "Jehovah". Aaaaccckkk!

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    A retraction in WT literature. Was that a one off? How was it phrased?
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    JWdaughter: A retraction in WT literature. Was that a one off? How was it phrased?

From a thread 12 years ago :

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/56455/retractions-watchtower?size=10&page=1

w5/1/35 142
    THE CALENDAR
    TO HAVE a correct system of reckoning time is desirable. It is well known that the calendars heretofore used have been incorrect and unsatisfactory. For this reason The Golden Age published facts concerning a system of reckoning time, obtaining the important data from the Scriptures, and some from astronomy. Seeing there is a danger of giving importance to this and to the exclusion of weightier matters, this note of warning is here sounded. God’s people should keep in mind the “pyramid” delusion and the speculations that accompanied the study of chronology, and the pitfalls into which these things led many. Do not fall into a similar trap. It is of far more importance to understand our commission and to perform it than to understand at just what time Adam was created. Be reasonable and moderate. Avoid wild speculation as to at what time and in what manner things future will come to pass. Be sure that you always are guided by the counsel of the Lord’s Word. The statements in The Golden Age are not dogmatic, but are worthy of due and careful consideration.
  • Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

lifeday?...Like Wookie life day?

Image result for wookiee life day

• Oubliette
    Oubliette
    The proposed name changes for the days of the week and months all sounds rather Orwellian. Not surprising.
  • Zoos
    Zoos
    Thank god it's Mansday.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit