He had three and a half years.What about YOU!

by Blueblades 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

For those of us who had a lifetime of trying to do it right under all kinds of very difficult tests of faith while imperfect,how do you think Jesus would of done if he had to be tested for a lifetime of say 70 or 80 years and not just three and a half years.

What if you had only three and a half years to prove faithful knowing that in just three days after you died you would live again in heaven and would that have been easier than having to spend a lifetime trying to be faithful through all the years of 70 or 80 yrs.

Just asking,it's something that I was thinking about today.

Blueblades

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Well, to look at it from another angle, most of us have successfully avoided being nailed to a tree. So, as Bill Murray said in Caddyshack, we got that going for us there.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Don't the JW's teach that Judaism was Jehovah's earthly organization? Wasn't Jesus apostate to Judaism, Jehovah's earthly organization?

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

I'd like to believe that I give credit where credit is due, but I always thought that Jesus' tenure on earth was a fairly easy one. Assuming that we are to take it literally, is it really that hard to be completely passive most the time, to rant and rave a couple of other times (i.e. overthrowing the temple), to make some friends for life at other times (i.e. changing water into wine) and then suffer a death that is pretty rough sure, but not any worse than a lot of other martyrs.

All this, while knowing (or believing) that he was going to heaven anyway when it was all done. Sure he was pretty impressive, but perfect????!!!!..... I don't know about that one.

Brad

• Dawn
    Dawn

Wasn't Jesus apostate to Judaism, Jehovah's earthly organization?

Yep. Makes you think eh?

Blueblades - Jesus didn't come to prove to US that a human can gain acceptance to heaven - he came to prove it to SATAN. He won - Satan lost - and Jesus was given the keys to heaven. So now HE will let us in if we ask him to - and we don't have to be perfect to get there (thank God!). All we have to do is believe in him and ask. (John 6:40)

• SM62
    SM62

Didn't Jesus have a head-start? He was perfect! How unfair was that?

If I was made perfect, I'm sure I could remain faithful for 60 or 70 years, let alone 3 and a half.

To make it fairer, Jesus should have been a real, ordinary, imperfect man. God should have taken away his perfection. He should have been prone to illness, depression, financial stress etc. Then I wonder if he would have stuck it out up to the point of death?

You cannot compare Jesus with us ordinary mortals who live horrible, crappy lives, plagued by illness, worry, stress, no money, bills up to the eyeballs etc. To stay faithful under these conditions would really mean something.

Terri

• Gadget
    Gadget

But we don't have to remain faithful for 60/70/80 years, armegedon is just around the corner.......

• Dawn
    Dawn

You cannot compare Jesus with us ordinary mortals

And you're not supposed to - that's the point. Jesus didn't come to show us what crap we are. His issue with proving himself faithful was a battle between he and Satan - it was not intended for us.

If you could prove yourself faithful then you wouldn't need Jesus right?! So obviously, then he wasn't here to show you how to prove yourself faithful and move on without him. He knows you can't do that. His purpose for man was to bring hope and mercy.

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

What if Jesus had been tested here in the 21st century? Imagine him carrying a cell phone and a laptop computer. What if, instead of being put to death by the Romans, he were arrested here in the USA and taken to Guantanamo Bay where he was held under suspicion of terrorism? Or, what if he were in the Middle East and was captured by Al Qaeda?

I think those three and a half years might have played out very differently. Those of us who do live here in the 21st century have a very different set of circumstances in which to live.

Myself, I doubt I could have made those three and a half years back in the Bronze Age.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit