Good Scripture to Show Watchtower = Pharisees

by truth_b_known 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I read something today that immediate brought the Watchtower/JWs to mind. Something to share with JWs the next time they come knocking at your door. I'll even quote it from the NWT - Luke 18:9-14

9 He also told this illustration to some who trusted in their own righteousness and who considered others as nothing: 10 “Two men went up into the temple to pray, the one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood and began to pray these things to himself, ‘O God, I thank you that I am not like everyone else—extortioners, unrighteous, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give the tenth of all things I acquire.’+ 13 But the tax collector, standing at a distance, was not willing even to raise his eyes heavenward but kept beating his chest, saying, ‘O God, be gracious to me,* a sinner.’+ 14 I tell you, this man went down to his home and was proved more righteous than that Pharisee.+ Because everyone who exalts himself will be humiliated, but whoever humbles himself will be exalted.”

I think back to being a kid in the 80s sitting through the Sunday congregation Watchtower study. How many articles were there in which Watchtower patting themselves on the back for being a "clean" and "upright" organization and contrasting itself to Christendom or the Catholic Church with all it's child abuse scandals? Probably hundreds of articles!

How many times did Witnesses publicly raise themselves by announcing the were pioneering and going to put in 50, 60, or more hours in the ministry every month? The Mosaic Law required an Israelite to fast 1 time a year. Did God really care about the extra 99 times the Pharisees fasted?

How many times did Witnesses publicly praise themselves for being more righteous than their own fellow congregation members by advocating the shunning of their own? I don't just mean disfellowshipped ones, but also those who were judged as "spiritually weak" and could only be spoken to at the meetings. To further serve pride they love titles such as Ministerial Servant, Elder, Circuit Overseer, Bethelite, etc. These titles divide and then raise the holder above other fellow members.

Its as clear as the spilled scotch on Tony Morris' tie that Watchtower and their followers are just modern day Pharisees.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Tony says, "At headquarters, It's not all the result of Phar-i-sees.

Sometimes it's just because of the Scotch-I-See."

• bobfish
    bobfish

Do they still knock on your door? I found this forum recently after seeing my poor old mom out pioneering and got me thinking about witnesses again, something I've not done in a long LONG time.

I've not even SEEN a witness in... Jeez... 8 years? 9? They have never knocked on this door since I moved in, not once that I know of.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Welcome bobfish ,obviously you now have a life to live and you are doing it and JW`s you know always call when they do at the most inappropiate times so thats probably why you never see them.

I`m sorry about your mom,so many old dears have invested so much time money and energy into this religion they just can`t bring themselves to admit they have been duped all of their lives .

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

You could literally scream the Pharisee comparison in a loyal JW's face, and his conditioning will only allow him to see other, "false" religions doing it.

The ones with enough brains to actually realize you're talking about JWs themselves will just feel offended.

In the vast majority of cases, only members in various stages of WTexit are able to see the connection.

• carla
    carla

" ‘O God, I thank you that I am not like everyone else..."- I have used that on my jw often. It only gives pause for a few moments then quickly fades away into self/jw justification . Then again, mine wasn't a born in so perhaps he still has some sense of shame when sitting on the jw judgement seat. The brainwashing kicks in quickly so any moment of normal reasoning is just as quickly forgotten or brushed aside as evil thinking?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit