One of the key ways to tell if it is a cult or toxic high control group....

by stuckinarut2 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

My wife and I were discussing a sure sign of a cult:

When one knows MORE about the Society / Organization AFTER leaving!

Lets face it, most of us here on this forum, and ex-witnesses in general know MORE facts about the History, Background, Practices, Current Procedures, Scandals, etc than the average "still-in Witness"! (even elders!)

That is surely a flashing red-light!? A member of any group should be the most educated and updated of all people. NOT those who have left.

Any thoughts?

• Normalfulla
    Normalfulla

Amen to that stuck ,

Never been so informed or so interested in what's going on in the org , don't know if it's because of my growing animosity towards the injustices or because I have many loved ones with the wool pulled over their eyes still , either way I am usually the source of the changes going on in the org for my parents who are still in ,even though my dad is df and trying his darnedest to get back in

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

STUCKINARUT:

You are absolutely right about that. What an education I got about the Jehovah's Witness religion when I was out. The people still in are in a news blackout about the religion's past and even current events.

What I learned made me despise them. Words can't convey my contempt.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

So it is.

When you walk out of the mist cloud that the JW culture is.

G.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Never was a truer word said Stuck ,because we have taken the rose colored glasses off,removed the scales from our eyes ,and actually started to use our brain to question things.

I was going to say without fear of retribution but that is not quite true .

Many of us are/were fearful to take that first step of questioning the organization/religion ,but gradually over time it became much easier until we finally reached the stage of knowing TTATT.

And it`s a blessing and freedom all rolled into one that should equip us to never fall into that trap ever again.

When one knows MORE about the Society / Organization AFTER leaving!

Repeated for emphasis.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

One of the first things I vividly remember being told when studying with J.W.'s was that I shouldn't listen to any of Christendom's clergy on the radio or T.V. - and never, ever, ever, accept another religion's literature if offered.

Even then I wondered, "If I've got the truth, why should I worry about what they say?

The J.W. paranoia extends to all those who are judged and condemned as "spiritually weak" in the congregation - in case they've been trawling the demonic internet for information which was not provided by the org's "faithful slave."

• fokyc
  • jwleaks
    jwleaks

The BITE Analysis: Ways to Evaluate a Group's Control Over Personal Freedom

by Steven Hassan, M. Ed., LMHC

http://www.reveal.org/library/psych/shassan.html

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    stucky - A member of any group should be the most educated and updated of all people. NOT those who have left.
    I totally agree. Like mushrooms. Kept in the dark and fed poopy plops.Another sure sign of a cult is shunning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit