Dear Syrian Refugees

by Simon 42 Replies latest social current

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

Let's remember that if genuine refugees had a choice, they wouldn't choose to be refugees.

"We don't want to be refugees. We want to stay in our country."

https://youtu.be/s3uaf1NFxXc

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

Simon: I agree with a lot of what you've said here. The problem is that the vetting process is too slow. I can't believe that if the the various NATO nations put their resources to work we couldn't invest in the creation of some sort of international agency with the manpower to speed up the process.

Also, as has been pointed out, I'm sure most refugees would prefer to stay in their country if it were safe to be there. We should be focusing on providing areas of safety with clean, well run temporary camps where refugees can be housed in dignity until it's safe to go home.Most camps are a disgrace, due to underfunding and lack of resources and personnel. What better way way to create a whole generation resenting the Western countries that allow them to live in such squalor. Does it really matter that it's not our fault that they're in that situation? How many people could be helped for the cost of 59 cruise missiles.

After World War Two, there were agreements made between nations to avoid refugee problems exactly like we're seeing today. Unfortunately, they're being ignored. If the refugees could be taken in by all counties proportional to their populations, we wouldn't have the overwhelming numbers in Germany and other welcoming countries.

Let's get innocent civilians out of the danger zones, and let the idiot armies and warlords duke it out, but also make a meaningful effort to help the innocents.

• Landy
    Landy
    After World War Two, there were agreements made between nations to avoid refugee problems exactly like we're seeing today. Unfortunately, they're being ignored. If the refugees could be taken in by all counties proportional to their populations, we wouldn't have the overwhelming numbers in Germany and other welcoming countries.

I'm not sure if it's militarily feasible or that the political will is there to put troops on the ground but my thoughts would go along the route of creating a safe haven within Syria near the Turkish border - with a multinational force under a UN header.

Similar concept to the Balkans in the 90s.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit