"Criminal Minds" quote

by neat blue dog 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

I was just watching an old episode of Criminal Minds and there was this description of cults:

"Cults commonly have their own language. They invent or redefine certain words only the cult members understand. It's a way of isolating the members from outsiders. It's a very powerful form of thought control."

Ironically, JWs redefine the very word "cult" out of necessity, saying it can only apply to a group with a SINGLE charismatic leader = Therefore, they aren't a cult!

• hoser
    hoser

Pioneer, publisher, LDC, RBC, and all the related jargon. The language also alerts higher up members to weak members that may negatively influence the core group. That’s why they change it up on a fairly regular basis. The society has change to the organization. Kingdom ministry to kingdom service back to kingdom ministry.

• Syme
    Syme

Yes, Orwell had defined this characteristic of a cult (the Party, in that case) in "1984": the newspeak.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost
    Pioneer, publisher, LDC, RBC, and all the related jargon.

"Spiritual" = eagerly willing to do mundane chores for the advancement of the JW religion

"Kingdom Interests" = Assets of the Watchtower Bible & Tract Corporation

"Spiritually mature" = Blindly and unquestioningly obedient to every whim of the elders, CO, and/or governing body

"Apostasy" = any idea even faintly critical of the WTS regardless of its source

"Privilege" = a menial drudgery performed with no tangible benefit returned to the doer (carrying a microphone, scrubbing a toilet, creating a schedule, etc.)

"Thrilling, encouraging, rewarding, satisfying" = exact 180-degree antonyms of how every non-JW in the universe understands those words

Need I go on?

• Corney
    Corney

Surprisingly, every community has its own jargon

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

I think there's a difference between having unique jargon, (LDC, CotBoE, pioneer etc.) and REDEFINING words and concepts, (spiritual, kingdom, christendom etc.)

• Ding
    Ding

The late Walter Martin, author of Kingdom of the Cults once said that the "sheep's clothing" of the cults is vocabulary.

The cults use Bible words but they totally redefine them.

You think they are agreeing with the Bible when, in many cases, they mean the opposite.

• iXav
    iXav

I sometimes wonder if those who started the religion like the JW, had the mindset from the get go that they wanted to control the masses. Is the control a consequence of managing growth.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

I've always said: If you have a ready reply as to why you're not in cult you're probably in a cult.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

Rose McGowan discusses her time in a Religious cult and compares it to the Democratic Party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4IWHSQVVjM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit