Were the bethelites disappointed when they moved out of Brooklyn?

by GabeAthouse 8 Replies latest jw friends

• GabeAthouse
    GabeAthouse

Anyone know of anyone who was serving at the time of the move? I know a few former JW's who were at Brooklyn who have told me that the actual Bethel experience was kind of a drag but it was kinda cool to experience living in NYC for a couple of years.

I visited a relative who was serving, years ago and went into the apartment he shared. It was one hell of a view of Manhattan and the Brooklyn Bridge.

I just imagine quite a few had to think to themselves that it sucks we have to go live out in the boonies.

• SadElder
    SadElder

At least in Crooklyn one could get public transportation to flee the House. Imagine being out in never never land with no wheels.

• mann377
    mann377

Can't speak for anyone else but when I was transferred from Brooklyn to the farm back in '73 I was a bit taken back. Thinking I would be in the middle of no where. After about four months I bought a car (went home for a vacation and bought it). It was great to have the freedom to go all over the place. Many times I would just go after work and drive in the mountains (the Gunks) and watch the sunset. Every time I walked past my car I knew that was my transportation out at any time. Having that freedom was intoxicating.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Right at the time of the transition, is when they kicked to the curb hundreds of bethelites. No different then greedy corporations!

• new boy
    new boy

Yes the view was great.....especially in the lobby of 124 it was magical. However there was little time to enjoy it when you are working in a slave labor camp making only .73 cents a day.

• HiddlesWife
    HiddlesWife

SadElder, you're right about that fact! I betcha that the Bethellites who want to sneak out and leave the Warwitch Compound feel TRAPPED AF! This has been a bane to them, especially during the pandemic. They were not allowed to go to restaurants or other small places of interest (and there are very few in that township anyways). So, now that the In-Person KH Meetings are in session again, I'm sure those Bethellites are ready to RUN QUITE WILD to outside venues because WHQ felt like PRISON to them!

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher

'Served' in Brooklyn (1980s) as a married couple. We had a car for a year at the end of our 'privilege.'

Unlimited opportunities for using the world (went to theater often, etc.).

We would NOT have wanted to move to Walkill, much less to Warwick. We had in-laws at Walkill and would visit.

Brooklyn was our preferred location, even though Keith is correct when he observes "there was little time to enjoy it when you are working in a slave labor camp."

We could enjoy the views when working, when doing dishes duty, when doing watchman duties, when on the way to meetings, service, etc.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

I'd like to point out that if you'd like an inside look at life at WT HQ during the pandemic, there's a Bethel Elduh insider who posted about it on the Reddit Ex-JW forum about a month ago. It was VERY insightful. I don't believe it to be "Fake" either, like "Johnny the Bethelite." It was posted by a trusted source, someone like Atlantis. (tho not Atlantis to my knowledge)

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Perspective. I knew a country boy who was asked back for a special skill. He would not go back to the city, preferred the farm so declined

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit