Excessive Texting May Be Sign of Addiction

by Zoewrex 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Zoewrex
    Zoewrex

I found this on Excite today

Email this story Oct 6, 10:14 am ET LONDON (Reuters) - Too much text messaging? You may need professional help.

More and more people are succumbing to so called "technology addictions," spending hours tapping on mobile phones or surfing the Internet, one of Britain's best known psychiatric clinics said Saturday.

"There has been a huge rise in behavioral addictions," including excessive texting, said a spokeswoman for the Priory Clinic which treats 6,000 patients a year for a range of addictions including gambling, eating disorders and drugs.

In the Sunday Telegraph newspaper the head of the clinic's addictions unit said some patients were spending up to seven hours a day text messaging.

"We have a situation where some people look down on alcoholics and cocaine addicts, but then go and spend five hours in an Internet chat room," Dr Mark Collins told the paper.

• talesin
    talesin

This is not surprising to me.

I know lots of Television addicts who criticize those with a chemical addiction. Internet and Videogames seem to be the same - it's just that you can't smell it on their breath, they're not 'losing money' over it, they don't have physical symptoms, etc., so therefore, they are not addicts! Just like those of us who 'smoke because we like it'. Okey-dokey!

So easy to deny our own behaviours, huh? So difficult to 'look in the mirror'.

tal

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

I once knew of a man who was an alcoholic.

First thing he did in the morning was go look for a beer.

Last thing he did at night was go get a beer.

He didn't consider himself an alcoholic.

But I think for sure that if anything consumes your life to the point where it's the first thing you think about upon waking and the last thing you think about when you should be asleep and it interferes with having balanced relationships with others, then it is an addiction and you should try to get professional help.

YC

• rocketman
    rocketman

I'm sure that as technology advances, we'll see more and more 'addictions'.

• sens
    sens

If someone is addicted to texting aka sms...that is lame...

• Zoewrex
    Zoewrex

Can people be addicted to their cyberlives (if they so decide to invent one)?

What would it be called? Multicyberality?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit