JW's Memorial VS The Biblical Ordinance of the Lord's supper

by JW Answers 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JW Answers
    JW Answers

The Jehovah's Witnesses memorial is coming up this weekend, and as every year those of the 'Earthly hope' will pass around the Bread and Wine without partaking of it. Is this scriptural?

The Lord Jesus and the Apostle Paul taught that everyone who is in the room who are believers are to partake of the emblems. Paul did not speak of two hopes (Heavenly or Earthly). Paul spoke of one hope (Heaven - Col 1:5) and that we are all to be of the one mind (Thinking on Christ and Heaven).

So, is the memorial in which the Jehovah's Witnesses practice biblical? Or does it blatently go against the scriptures? What doesn't correspond to God in His word, can be views as Satanic.

Watch this video now at :

JW's Memorial VS. The biblical ordinance of the Lord's supper

• JW Answers
    JW Answers

The Lord Jesus taught the disciples to take, eat and drink of the emblems set before them. They were instructed that everyone who was a believer in the room was to take of it.

Matthew 26:26-28 KJV
    And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body. [27] And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; [28] For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Mark 14:22-24 KJV
    And as they did eat, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and brake it , and gave to them, and said, Take, eat: this is my body. [23] And he took the cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them: and they all drank of it. [24] And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many.

Luke 22:12-20 KJV
    And he shall shew you a large upper room furnished: there make ready. [13] And they went, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover. [14] And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him. [15] And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer: [16] For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God. [17] And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves: [18] For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come. [19] And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it , and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me. [20] Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

When we come to the Apostle Paul, the Lord Jesus gave revelation to him to preach the Gospel and Church Doctrine to the Gentiles, in which Paul delivered. He received of the Lord the Gospel (Gal 1:6-9) and he preached that his Gospel should be obeyed (1 Cor 15:1-4)

Further to the Gospel, the Apostle Paul also taught the church how to remember the Lord Jesus.

1 Corinthians 11:23-29 KJV
    For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: [24] And when he had given thanks, he brake it , and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. [25] After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it , in remembrance of me. [26] For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come. [27] Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. [28] But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. [29] For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

The Aposlte Paul indicated that everyone in the room are to examine themselves to see if they are worthy of taking the supper (Not worthy as in Heavenly or Earthly, but wither or not they were in fellowship with God by way of their walk).

The Jehovah's Witnesses claim that they have two hopes (Heavenly and Earthly), the Heavenly are those who can partake of the emblems. Yt the Apostle Paul indicated that we all belong in the ONE body (Which is Christ, not an organisation)

One Body :

Ephesians 2:14-16 KJV
    For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us ; [15] Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; [16] And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:

Romans 12:5 KJV
    So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

Colossians 3:14-15 KJV
    And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. [15] And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.

Although the Jehovah's Witnesses have two hopes (or two classes), the Apostle Paul preached that we have only ONE hope, which is in Heaven.

One Hope :

Ephesians 4:3-5 KJV
    Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. [4] There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; [5] One Lord, one faith, one baptism.

Colossians 1:3-5 KJV
    We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you, [4] Since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus, and of the love which ye have to all the saints, [5] For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel;

This corresponds to the Lord Jesus' words when He taught in the Gospels to "Lay up treasures in Heaven, not earth".

As the Jehovah's Witnesses are of two separate minds, concerning who are of the Earthly class and who are of the Heavenly class, the Apostle Paul taught that believers in the Lord Jesus Christ are to be of the ONE mind.

One Mind :

Philippians 3:14-21 KJV
    I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. [15] Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you. [16] Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing. [17] Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample. [18] (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: [19] Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.) [20] For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: [21] Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

From the verses provided and what was said in the video, there is clear evidence from the scriptures alone, that the JW's memorial practice goes directly against the word of God.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    [28] For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

In Matt. 26 that you quoted above, it specifically states that the cup represents the "New Covenant" for the remission of sins.

The Watchtower teaches that the NC is for Kingdom positions as rulers, not reconciliation with God. They always use the account in Luke at the Memorial.....which leaves this specific phrase out.

In Christianity, everyone partakes of the Bread and Wine because they are all sinners in need of "forgiveness of sins"

In JWdom, The work of Christ PLUS membership in (and obedience to) the Organization are needed for "forgiveness of sins".

Of course, rejecting the New Covenant is something not known by the apostles, and anyone teaching something not taught by them is cursed.

Galatians 1: 8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
    9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
  • cofty
    cofty

The key difference is this...

1 - Christians believe that Jesus died as a punishment for their sins.

2 - JWs believe Jesus' death was a legal transaction made necessary by the sin of Adam.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Many refugees have a hope/promise guaranteed in Brussels by E.U. Law, that if they make it to an E.U. member state's territory or waters, they will be cared for by that state. They are not promised that they will be brought to Brussels to live. Brussels is the source of the promise – not the destination.

Colossians 1:5 says, “Your faith and love have arisen from the hope laid up for you in heaven... (NET)

According to the Bible, exactly what hope was promised from heaven or stored, or laid up there for humankind?

(Ephesians 4:4) One body there is, and one spirit, just as you were called to the one hope of your calling;

(Psalm 37:11) But the meek will possess the earth, And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.

(Psalm 37:29) The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it.

(Matthew 5:5) “Happy are the mild-tempered, since they will inherit the earth.

(Revelation 21:3, 4) “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his people. And God himself will be with them. And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”

Sincerely, can you scripturally show exactly who these meek/righteous ones are that are going to inherit the earth and live forever upon it? If they're living forever upon the earth, then that categorically means they will never live in heaven. Forever means forever!

These people are clearly humans – not spirits or angels, because God's tent is with mankind – it still exists. And there are no tears, death, mourning, outcry, or pain in heaven which need to be removed, so who are these people who are not “worthy” to go to heaven where - allegedly – other humans have been promoted?

• neat blue dog
  • The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Interesting interpretation of scriptures.

PIMO: So immortality. Who is this talking about?

JW: Those with the heavenly hope.

That's assuming that the fundamental teaching of J.W.'s is correct – a “heavenly hope” is promised to anyone.

Not something I conclude from the scriptures already quoted. Not to mention Psalm 45:16 - "princes in all the earth" (later to be promoted to kings???) and Revelation 5:10 discussing those who will be ruling upon the earth. (Unless of course an argument can made that "earth" is a euphemism or analogy for heaven)

Your presentation said, “For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his.”

“A resurrection like his” doesn't define a destination or a spiritual versus physical body.

How was Jesus' resurrection different from every other person's resurrection in the Bible? He would never face death again, for a start. I'm sure others could supply further comparisons.

Nice to see different "wavelengths" of thoughts on Bible topics being discussed, without vitriol.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

There's no need for "assuming" that a heavenly hope is offered. That's literally all the new testament ever talks about. Explicitly. Countless times. As for Rev. 5:10, rule "on" the Earth literally means "over". And just as JWs acknowledge, "earth" doesn't even mean the planet, it means the individual people.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

John 6 pretty much eliminates any guess work as who should partake

• Ding
    Ding

Cofty described the WT view of Jesus' death as being a legal transaction.

In some ways, they view almost as an accounting transaction: Adam incurred a debt; Jesus made a "corresponding" payment -- no more, no less.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit