New book: Love, Daddy (About Christian Longo)

by ignatius 3 Replies latest jw friends

• ignatius
    ignatius

New book: Love, Daddy: The True Story of Accused Con Man and Family-Killer Christian Longo. By Carlton Smith. St Martin's Paperbacks. Published October, 2003. List price $6.95.

Just came across this book yesterday. I bought it immediately and just finished it today. JWs are mentioned quite a bit. I have some trouble with the author's thesis but have to agree with some of his conclusions. The author (Carlton Smith) writes:

"In truth, there was a war going on inside of Chris Long--a sort of mini-Armageddon, not so much between the forces of darkness and light, but rather between his deep desire to be in the wordly world, and his lifelong beliefs, encompassed by the teachings of his faith, the Organization, the Watchtower Society of the Jehovah's Witnesses. Those were teachings that were hard to hear, and harder still to follow; stemming from fear, they taught too little of freedom. Focused on the next world, they failed to prepare for this one. In this sense, the Organization has some share of reponsibility for what happened in the Longo family tragedy...The Society's Elder's Guide may prescribe shunning for the likes of a Chris Longo, but in the end it was the faithful MaryJane and her children who paid the ultimate price, cut off and alone, separated from everything that MaryJane had held dear all of her life." (page 273)

He gets some facts about JWs wrong but gets most of them right. It was a book I could not put down.

Ignatius

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

Hi Ignatius, welcome to the board!!! I've never read this book, but it sounds mighty interesting! The name rings a bell (Christian Longo), but I'm too drunk to remember why!!! Can you refresh my memory? (OK, I'll admit it, I'm to broke/lazy to get the book myself)

• ignatius
    ignatius

Thanks for the welcome.

Background on Christian Longo can be found at:

http://www.courttv.com/trials/taped/longo/background01.html

• Blue
    Blue

Good afternoon Ignatius,

That was very sad-the story of Christian Longo. There is something about some of the teachings of the Watchtower that seems to make people act like they have no conscious or no soul. Then of course that is what the society teaches us that we have no soul. Christian Longo is also mentioned on http://watchtower.observer.org/ amoung many other murderers. There is also the story of a man called unending heartache where a J.W. killed his two children and X wife. These stories are located at the observer under Jehovah Witness and criminals. Welcome to the forum and may God bless. I will look and see if I can find the latest Longo book.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit