God Turned His Face Away

by ClassAvenger 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ClassAvenger
    ClassAvenger

I've been reading The Angels: God's Secret Agents by Billy Graham and I found something interesting about when Jesus died on the cross. He says that when Jesus died, he was abandoned by men, angels, and by the Father who's eyes are too pure to look at sin, and in the expiatory agony of the Son He turned his face away. That's why Jesus said: My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? Matthew 27:46. What do you all think of this comment from Graham? Just wanted to know you guy's opinion.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    He says that when Jesus died, he was abandoned by men, angels, and by the Father who's eyes are too pure to look at sin, and in the expiatory agony of the Son He turned his face away. That's why Jesus said: My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me

If God's eyes are too pure to look at sin, how did he know to send his son?

Jesus' dying words were an all too human cry for help from God. That time, God's answer was no.

Robyn

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Sounds like Mr. Graham is going waaaay out on a limb and making up stuff that is not in the bible. People have a hard time with the idea that Jesus would have said "why have you forsaken me"... so they make up stuff like that to ease the questions that such a statement poses.

• ClassAvenger
    ClassAvenger

Well, I mean, this guy's got a Doctorates degree in theology, although the statement did seem kind of weird. I mean, how could God turn his face away from someone?

• Navigator
    Navigator

Aramaic scholars have suggested that the words attributed to Jesus should have been translated "My God, My God, For this purpose was I born".

• Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.
    Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.

Ah, the beauty and wisdom of so called bible translation/interpretation - for all we know jesus could very well have said "What the f**k are you doing having me hoisted up on this cross/post/tree/pole?" (reader to use own judgement at this point to select the word which best suits their own fairtytale beliefs.

I've seen cheeses on a toothpick, but never on a tree.

• bebu
    bebu

I don't think Graham is far off the mark. The Bible says that Jesus became sin for us, and also God dealt with our sin on the cross.

Heb 2:9: We see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.

That may mean that "death" included being alienated from God while he suffered.

How many times have we cried something like that to God, feeling abandoned, feeling utterly alienated? I think that was part of that "cup" Jesus drank, and it was no small thing. When atoms split, it is actually not such a small event. If Jesus was alienated from God on the cross while he died, to me it implies some serious consequences.

bebu

• shamus
    shamus

That is a very interesting interpretation! I never ever thought about it until this point, and am very impressed with his thoughts.

It makes sense, doesn't it?

• ClassAvenger
    ClassAvenger

I've also heard another statement, that the Holy Spirit and the Father suffered along with the Son because they saw his sufferement on the Cross. If they saw this, how could God turn his face away as so not to look at sin? Just a thought. But then God sees every sin that we commit. I am not trying to be smart here, I'm just trying to learn. I need to be corrected, can anyone explain this to me?

• bebu
    bebu

This is all metaphorically speaking, surely. I just can't imagine God turning a physical head; it is poetic expression, if you will. We're always stuck using anthropomorphisms when it comes to describing God (that is, ascribing human traits to God).

Even the thought that God's eyes are too pure to look upon evil is an oriental way of expressing the thought that God is good. These days, that surely takes some faith (and seemingly, especially on this board!).

When I read the Bible, I don't get bored like some here; I find the expressions very deeply touching, and they resonate with me. Some days I feel like it's more interesting to study as a theologian, but usually it's drawing close to Who's under and between all the words... The poetry and imagery speak to my heart very well.

bebu

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit