1 Timothy 5:8 - Providing for one's household....materially or spiritually?

by cappytan 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cappytan
    cappytan

The Searcher brought this scripture up on another thread:

(1 Timothy 5:8) "Certainly if anyone does not provide for those who are his own, and especially for those who are members of his household, he has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith." [disowned Jehovah]

I thought I'd make a new thread instead of highjacking that other one.

Did you know they're trying to apply this to spiritual matters now?

Brother on Platform: "Yes, we need to provide for our families materially. That's the reality of the world in which we live. But even more important than materially is providing for them spiritually! Do you think that Paul would put material things as a higher priority than spiritual matters? Of course not! So he was likely referring to providing for your household in a spiritual sense!"

Sheeple: "oooooooo.....ahhhhhhhhh....I see the light now! Monday morning I'm quitting my job and pioneering! Jehovah will provide! 

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    To be direct, yes i have heard the same application but its far from new.  And an homest open minded reading of the scripture makes it clear that spritually was not the topic being discussed.
  • cappytan
    cappytan

I really had never heard this application until the last 3 or 4 years, personally. Maybe 5.

As a born-in, from my perspective that's kind of recent. But, I'm sure it could be that I've only noticed it recently. It could be that for years I never even paid attention to it's application.

• sir82
    sir82

Hmm, what about the context?

Give consideration to* widows who are truly widows.*+  But if any widow has children or grandchildren, let these learn first to practice godly devotion in their own household+ and to repay their parents and grandparents what is due them,+ for this is acceptable in God’s sight.+  Now the woman who is truly a widow and left destitute has put her hope in God+ and continues in supplications and prayers night and day.+  But the one who gives herself to sensual gratification is dead though she is living.  So keep on giving these instructions,* so that they may be irreprehensible.  Certainly if anyone does not provide for those who are his own, and especially for those who are members of his household, he has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith.+  A widow is to be put on the list if she is not less than 60 years old, was the wife of one husband, 10  having a reputation for fine works,+ if she raised children,+ if she practiced hospitality,+ if she washed the feet of holy ones,+ if she assisted the afflicted,+ if she devoted herself to every good work.

Seems pretty clear the writer is referring to material support.

Oh, wait, we're talking about the WTS aren't we? In that case, context is to be ignored. Just pick out the sentence or 2 you want, and extrapolate from there.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Yeah, what Morpheus said - it's clear from the context that this is not talking about taking care of your household spiritually.  The many references to taking care of widows, which are frequently referenced in the bible as those who are materially disadvantaged but often very strong spiritually (for example: the widow's mite).  These ones clearly would have a greater and more immediate material needs than spiritual needs.

Also, verse 10 is particularly of interest in that it describes many "fine works" none of which include the ministry or "providing spiritually" - these are all about taking care of family responsibilities and caring for others physically.  

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    More bullshiite, jehovah provide my ass. I moved accross country a few years ago left behind family for an opportunity to work with a group of brothers and open up a new city. I prayed left all things that could of made me money in my former field behind showing jehovah i had faith in him. Got to the new city and when i wasnt working promoting the new business i was out in service. Made all the meetings and would go out in service Saturday and Sunday to show god again i was putting his will first. Result, i went broke had to move back home and almost lost everything. As for providing spiritually i could but they my family has been told not to listen to me. 
  • sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

Ive always hear it applied  as spiritual, personally I apply it to the physical, 

however how is it read in the new international bible, see below.

1 Timothy 5:8

8 Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

and what is the context,  i read parallel of this at bible gateway, the whole  chapter speaks of widows elders and slaves.... 

[having slaves, was Never spoken of against in the bible.   as is the obvious attitude of unworthiness for the rights  and feelings of women is this still observed today? apparently in many cultures]

it also points out in vs
    19 Do not entertain an accusation against an elder unless it is brought by two or three witnesses.

so

the two and three witness rule is spoken of as only applying to the elders,[ so THATS why they can get away with child abuse.]

king james version says at vs 11-12

11 But the younger widows refuse: for when they have begun to wax wanton against Christ, they will marry;

12 Having damnation, because they have cast off their first faith.. [gee was their 'first faith' their husbands law?'

so

women are damned if they wish to remarry. lol,   stupid ass men back then really ruined it  for themselves huh?

[what the hell does wax wanton mean, lol!]  silly old book.

Id say, clearly this is a book written for the chosen ones of Israel and did not apply to the gentile nations. 

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

They have a license to "spiritualize" any scripture to suit themselves. They also wantonly take scriptures that are obviously  spiritual or illustrative and deem them to be literal.

It's good to be a cult leader.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit