As a DUB did you ever see negative publicity which made you think?

by shotgun 7 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• shotgun
    shotgun

I can honestly say that as a loyal(semi loyal) dub for 15 yrs I can count on one hand the amount of negative articles I saw. I'm not sure if I tuned them out or if there just seems to be more these days. Even with all the negative publicity now, if you ask a dub they are totally unaware of it.

The other question is when we do awareness campains either through ads or letters would it make more impact to do this so that the regular dubs get the info or the Elders and higher-ups?

I think the elders immedietly stuff it in the trash and it would make more of a difference in the hands of all the loyal publishers and also the communities at large.

What's your past experience on this?

• Hamas
    Hamas

I just viewed such report as 'from Satan' and unworthy of being listened to.

Until, of course, coming home from a meeting feeling really pissed off, then deciding to look at such 'satanic literature'.

Here I learned about the UN. Roll that ball, baby

• core
    core
    The other question is when we do awareness campains either through ads or letters would it make more impact to do this so that the regular dubs get the info or the Elders and higher-ups?

Sadly most who get any of such info will view it as "apostate" and not read or consider the content.

When I saw negative publicity / articles in the press when I was active I just took it as a further sign that "we were right" - we were being persecuted for Jesus sake - I think moist loyal JWs think that way - I was influenced by the net and what I saw of the Franz incident etc - I always knew that "the truth" should stand up to examination but the WT always argued against any comparison / examination. Over a long time (years) I became convinced that the WT is a commercial behemoth that no one can stop - Jehovah is just not involved - not now - if he ever was.As a general point on trying to explain to loyal dubs - someone once posted here - never argue with a skunk

On your point re higher ups - they are never ever going to take any notice of any campaign - the more the merrier as far as they are concerned - local elders (with notable exceptions) do not THINK - they have had years of training not to do so.

• Momofmany
    Momofmany

Sorry to interup this thread, but I have a question. What does DUB stand for? I realize it means witness, but what does it stand for?

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Once, years ago I watched about 5 minutes of a program on TV where some DF'd XJW's were being interviewed. Sad to say, I thought they were just malcontents, and, being the good little dub that I was, I quickly changed the channel. If only I knew then what I know now, I would have watched the entire program. I would have probably left the org alot sooner.

But then, I have this bad habit of learning everything the hard way.

Walter

• Aztec
    Aztec

It's just short for JW; hence JDub (similar to people Calling George W: Dubya). Dub is just a version of JDub.

One of the modus opendi (sp?) of a cult is making all cult followers believe that any negative information is the result of the Devil or some other known evil force (i.e. apostastes). It's a great control tactic. The followers have to have their eyes slowly opened and blunt negativity rarely works. They have to be in the proper mental state.

~Aztec

• Momofmany
    Momofmany

Thank you Aztec.

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    I just viewed such report as 'from Satan' and unworthy of being listened to.

Back in the 1970s when I was a JW, we were all convinced of the imminence of Armageddon. We viewed "apostates" as simply another sign of the "times of the end", and largely ignored them.

Today, especially since so much accurate information about the Watchtower organization is available on the internet, the WTBTS sees a real threat in "apostates" -- a sign to me that they no longer believe in the imminence of Armageddon. Otherwise, they'd leave us alone to "fulfill prophecy".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit