Contrast this case with Vicki Boer's.... what is wrong with this picture??

by Scully 9 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Scully
    Scully

This is from CBC news online

Student wrongly accused of sex abuse wins case Last Updated Fri, 03 Oct 2003 9:23:17

ST. JOHN'S - Newfoundland's Supreme Court has ordered Memorial University to pay more than $800,000 to a former student who was falsely accused of sexually abusing children nine years ago.

"It's been nine years. All I wanted at the beginning was an apology, which they wouldn't give me," said Wanda Young, adding her reputation was ruined by the accusation.

"Just really relieved it's over."

The jury ruled the university, a professor and a former director of the school of social work were negligent.

In 1994, social work professor Leslie Bella read a term paper by Young who had copied a story about a teen abusing the children she babysat.

The story wasn't properly footnoted and the professor alerted university officials. They warned child protection services that Young could be abusing children.

The RCMP were later contacted.

Young found out about the suspicions two years later but quickly proved them false.

Young says as a result she was denied work as a youth counsellor and couldn't pursue her studies to become a social worker.

The jury awarded Young more than $400,000 for pain and suffering and for the loss of her reputation.

Young also received more than $400,000 for income lost and earnings she will lose in the future.

Memorial University's lawyer says the school will likely appeal the decision.

Written by CBC News Online staff

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Scully. I heard her interviewed on the radio CBC i think last week or so. I never put it into that context, but that was before the ruling against Vicki.

And Wanda wasn't physically abused.

It just dosen't make sense, but could it be used in an appeal?

• waiting
    waiting

I am just speculating here..........but there's oddities in Vicki's judgement, in my observor-only opinion. Or perhaps I just watch too much Law & Order.

Assuming the above case & Vicki are both Canadian Law.

Vicki's case was judge only - did she have a choice? Did she have a choice of a jury?

Vicki's judge was a woman....would seem a good move, but sometimes women seem to be over zealous to prove they're not swayed by female things. And that's just my opinion.

Vicki's judge seemed to understand what the WT did to Vicki - by her scathing remarks about the WTBTS actions towards Vicki.

But then............a win of $5,000. Akin to a win of $1.00 of times past when a judge/jury didn't really agree with the person suing, but really didn't see a way around granting a winning - so the money won was almost an insult. Or perhaps she really did see Vicki's side - but had pressure to side against Vicki, so the judge played both sides of the table.

The judge is no dummy - she most likely guessed that the WTBTS had tried to settle beforehand (it's common - in usa, estimates that 90% of all cases are settled before coming to trial). She had to know that the WTBTS's cost were higher than $5,000. By granting such a small win, she was telling the WTBTS that if they filed for their court costs to be paid by Vicki - there was chance the judge would go along with the WTBTS.

The WTBTS is no dummy - they saw the $5,000 win - and knew immediately they could win the war, even though they lost the battle, if the judge helped them.

The judge helped. The judge (per Hawk's quote of Canadian Law) could side with the WTBTS or Vicki on paying court costs. The judge chose the WTBTS.

The WTBTS (per HS) has done much for the Canadian Court in certain areas of law. Perhaps the judge wasn't willing to go against the WTBTS for the whole war? Old Boys Club? Political Agenda?

The WTBTS lost, and it could cost them in the future with other victims.

The WTBTS slammed the winning victim hard - to show any other victim or attorney who they were thinking about fighting.

lol - Prime TV Movie in the making, eh?

And no, I don't understand how the above woman received $800,000 from a University by a jury - as a victim.

Something is really odd about all this.

• needs_lots
    needs_lots

HOLY CRAP!

well isn't that fair. I did not have the choice of a jury. What about my pain. This makes a whole lot of f***ing sense. Sorry. Iam just a little P**t right now. UNFAIR!!!!!!!

• Gizmo
    Gizmo

Oh what a wonderful fair world we live in

• shamus
    shamus

I can't get an answer from anyone here.

WHY IS THE MEDIA NOT SHOWING THIS HORRIBLE TRAVESTY OF JUSTICE????

WHY DOES IT SEEM THAT NOBODY CARES?

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?

I can't stand this. What is going on with our world? Does evil truly win?

• waiting
    waiting

Why is there such a disparity in these rulings?

Judge vs jury

WTBTS religion vs. University

Proven sexual abuse victim vs slander victim

Proven sexual abuse victim wins $5,000 - slander victim wins $800,000

Proven victim PAYS $240,000 her own & losing side's lawyers - slander victim RECEIVES $800,000

• berylblue
    berylblue

Who knows, waiting. Who knows. I don't understand it myself.

• waiting
    waiting

"Time and unforseen circumstances" aside................this would make a great follow-up letter in our mail campaign for Vicki.

Others in government and in news also might know why - or speculate and ask questions.

We might not know why..............but we sure as hell can "ADVERTISE ADVERTISE ADVERTISE" - Pastor Russell

• waiting
    waiting

Hello needs-alot,

I did not have the choice of a jury.

I don't know Canadian law, nor the differences between providences, etc. But sure as hell, someone else does.

Was your lawsuit something so different than hers that you weren't entitled to a jury? Or can the judge just decide?

What's the law up there?

I don't even know if you want to talk about this - I don't know if I would if I were in your circumstances. But it might be worth asking some people about - other attorneys other than your attorney?

If I can be assistance to you, please let me know. What was done to you was fucking awful. No other way to say it, imho.

But remember this - you are one hell of a great person. Just average (no offense) in some ways, I suspect (as I am). But you stood up and you won. Even if you hadn't won..........you still stood up.

Congratulations. The WTBTS can never take that from you and it's more than 99% of the population ever does. You stood up and you won.

A True Hero.

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit