An opportunity for ex Jehovah's Witnesses survivors of domestic violence, to tell their story to the media

by jw news 2017 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jw news 2017
  • darkspilver
    darkspilver

This appears to originate with Julia Baird's ABC 7.30 Report that was broadcast in July 2017

Here she is discussing the programme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-ZLaEhIiNQ

• smiddy
    smiddy

Domestic violence ,physical abuse is not something I came across in my 33years as a JW .except for only one occasion by a MS against his wife.

However mental abuse is another kettle of fish ,men putting their wives down in one form or another was not uncommon .

Belittilling them for their weight ,was common and comparing them to TV women as being more alluring.

And the funny thing about it was the guys for the most part looked a helluva lot worse than their wives.

But because of JW culture the wives just endured it.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

I was on the receiving end of violence from my first wife. She was a born-in and had absolutely no boundaries at all once she became angry. Her whole family were that way inclined although she was by far the worst. Eventually, our neighbours who were also witnesses reported the matter to the elders having heasrd her screaming. They came to visit just as I was sporting some deep facial scratches. They sat me down and read me Scriptures about how I must keep her in subjection. Oh boy.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

My first introduction to domestic violence was soon after I began "associating" with the local JW congregation. Furthermore, the situation was remarkably similar to that just described by snugglebunny.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    snugglebunny3 hours ago3 hours ago

I was on the receiving end of violence from my first wife. She was a born-in and had absolutely no boundaries at all once she became angry. Her whole family were that way inclined although she was by far the worst. Eventually, our neighbours who were also witnesses reported the matter to the elders having heasrd her screaming. They came to visit just as I was sporting some deep facial scratches. They sat me down and read me Scriptures about how I must keep her in subjection. Oh boy.

were we married to the same woman ?

my first wife( born in 3rd gen) used to provoke arguments with me--and go into a sulk for days if she didnt get her own way. this usually ended with her attacking me--such as a full punch on my nose while i was asleep....also a thrust with a long kitchen knife --which i sidestepped and it went through the door behind me.

this usually resulted in a full on scrap--ending in violent sex--which i realised years later was what she wanted anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit