I'm ready to get my first Powerball ticket -- NOT!

by FatFreek 2005 24 Replies latest jw friends

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

It's up to some 800 zillion dollars now and hasn't suckered me in yet. I've been out of Watchtower for some 38 years now and I suppose the lottery is one of their NoNoze. I have nothing morally wrong against it or anyone who enjoys doing it. I hate restrictions and being told what, or what not, to do.

I don't gamble because Charles Dickens book The Old Curiosity Shop made such an impact on me.

If you do win, how much of the winnings will you bequeath to Watchtower's Worldwide Fund?

Len

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I only buy one (1) lottery ticket and only when the jackpot is around 500 million +. Any other time I don't mess with it.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I buy the occasional ticket because Watchtower says it is wrong. I also like to imagine for a day or two that I will be a multi-millionaire later this week.

I have considered telling my JW wife that we can only keep our hundreds of millions of dollars if Watchtower says it's okay to keep the money or else we will do whatever Watchtower says to do with it. Either that, or she can leave Watchtower and we won't ask.

I consider that, but I know I would never give them all that money.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350
    I wouldn't want the national news attention for winning it. I'll stick to the smaller jackpots and lower odds.
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    I buy the occasional lottery ticket when they have a few smaller jackpots like 1million.
  • TheMark
    TheMark
    I started buying one per drawing, only because you never know. It would be nice. I just hope I'd be level headed about it.
  • Dagney
    Dagney
    I bought $10 worth. The first in years. Just for the hell of it.
  • Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Putting your money into lottery tickets is foolish IFF* you are subsisting on a paycheck-to-paycheck or welfare payment-to-welfare-payment basis, but if you're in a better situation and the base of your hierarchy-of-needs is covered AND the money you're spending is your own**, what's the harm of taking a chance on winning HALF A BILLION DOLLARS?

Yes, the odds that YOU will win if you buy a ticket may be miniscule, but if you do not buy a ticket, the certainty that YOU WILL NOT WIN is 100%.

* It's in the dictionary, look it up. If you don't own a dictionary, call me "rood" or "harch".

** I realize that these conditions rule out half the people on this forum, but I'm talking to the other half.

• pepperheart
    pepperheart
    it really bugs me that they give such stupid amounts of money out in one large prize and that is why i dont take part just think how many prizes there would be at $50,000 for a win.
  • sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

i got one. one. and not even with the power play.

Id be happy with 1000 bucks right now.lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit