Is the Father Greater than the Lord Jesus?

by JW Answers 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Yes JWA, the Father identifies the son as ho theos, the God in Hebrews 1

John the Baptist was greater than any other before him, but he was equal in his humanness to everyone else.

A father who is president of his own company is greater than his vice president son, but only in position. The son might be far more intelligent than his dad, but they are equal as to nature.

• Exelder
    Exelder

"days of future past:

con·vict

v. con·vict·ed, con·vict·ing, con·victs
    v.tr.1. Law To find or prove (someone) guilty of an offense or crime, especially by the verdict of a court: Thejury convictedthe defendant of manslaughter.
    2. To show or declare to be blameworthy; condemn: His remarks convicted him of a lack of sensitivity.3. To make aware of one's sinfulness or guilt.
    v.intr.

Hahahaha By the bible, everyone is convicted."

Exactly why I am anti-religion and have no respect for the bible. It is all about condemnation and punishment if we happen to take an opposing side.
  • Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Actually it is about forgiveness and the lengths God will go to redeem and transform us.

Jesus' prayer on the cross on behalf of his executioners says it all.

Without conviction and admission, there can be no real change. That's where the Holy Spirit comes in.

• JW Answers
    JW Answers

Vanderhoven7

I could not agree more, and that was a good point, thank you.

• Exelder
    Exelder

..."it's all about forgiveness and redemption" and THEN it is death and destruction for anybody who doesn't believe.

• JW Answers
    JW Answers

John 3:15-16,36 KJV
    That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. [16] For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. [36] He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

It's what God's word says, not I.

• Steel
    Steel

After the death and resurrection of Jesus the first century Christians started to refer to Christ as lord and not just as a title. They are actually referring him as Jehovah of the Old Testament.

Now the weird part is Jesus is thought of having a god. Our great god and father and lord Jesus etc etc.

My opinion on the subject is New Testament writers are thinking of Jesus as this touchable seeable manifestion of god from the Old Testament .....the I am, the word of the lord, the angel of the lord etc etc.

I am sure if someone wants to make an argument against it they can. The only thing I can say certainly is Heavenly Father Jehovah isn't what first century Christians are thinking about.

• Exelder
    Exelder

Yep....initially he is nice and kind....AND THEN it is all about killing, punishing and wrath (eg. the twisted bitter sick god in the Hebrew Scriptures who was hell bent in killing and punishing people at the drop of a hat) .

In this 21st century of information overload where we are deluged with more information than any other generation and have so many ideas and philosophies heaped upon on, it is a very sick god who wants to punish and kill us simply because we can't decide who is telling the truth and who isn't.

Writing a 2000 year old book is not the most effective way to save us particularly when the people who are meant to be entrusted with guiding and teaching us lie and twist the scriptures to suit their own ends or have conflicting interpretations ....see THIS thread for an example....two opposing ideas about what the bible says.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

OK, you've ignored answering the verses which show Jesus has a God. Did you know that 1 John 5:7 is spurious?

If Jesus is God and equal with his Father, how can Jesus/God be in subjection to himself/Father?

1 Corinthians 15:28 - And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all. (KJV)

(It's strange that the 3rd entity is always awol when Nos.1 & 2 are mentioned)

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Again we are talking about nature, not position. I was subject to my father while growing up, he was greater in authority and position, but all the while equal in nature.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit